Dad admitted to hospital with COVID symptoms

Jayne M

May 1, 2020
My dad came to stay with us on 21st March so that we could look after him safely during the current crisis. He has Alzheimer's disease and is a shielded patient. We did it for 7 and a half weeks and he developed psychosis, his mental state deteriorating so much that he was admitted to a care home in his home town for emergency respite and assessment. That was on Tuesday 12th May., one of the worst days of my life. Tonight he's been admitted to hospital with COVID symptoms. He's alone in terms of no family members with him. My sister and I are heart broken.

Malalie

Sep 1, 2016
I'm so sorry - you must feel so impotent. Keep phoning to see how he is, I suppose? What can you...... My thoughts are with you.

Jayne M

May 1, 2020
Dad's still with us but he has respiratory sepsis in both lungs and COVID19. This morning his temperature is 40 degrees and he has hypodelirium. That being said, he told the nurse it was time he was getting home! There are 5 patients in the ward with 3 staff who are all dementia trained. Nurse Amy spent 30 minutes on the phone with me this morning building a picture of this amazing human being who is my dad. He has a letter from us and photographs of the important people in his life and they are going through those with him. Incredible, dedicated heroes.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
So sorry to hear about your Dad but it sounds as though he is receiving good care from the ward staff, it makes a real difference when they are dementia trained and take the time to listen to family. Wishing you and your Dad all the best for the coming days.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
So sorry to hear about your dad. It sounds as if he's getting very good care which must be a comfort, I hope you get better news of him.

Hoped

May 17, 2020
Thinking of you . Try to be strong for your Dad . I was in your position last month too .