Dad 100 miles away, alone and unable to remember govt directives

Love2sing

Apr 1, 2020
Coronavirus came at a bad time for my Dad. I live 100 miles away, we were just looking at him moving, he was on the verge of a social services assessment. I now have to cross fingers that he will come through these weeks without crisis and am on the phone to him many times each day. He has a carer in once a day to check he is taking medication. Main worry is that he constantly forgets that he must stay home and goes shopping, takes old lawnmower to the tip (closed of course! ) etc.

I have notes all over the house to remind him but I have my spies (his neighbours! ) and I know he is still shopping. It's a habit, he forgets, and we have the same conversation constantly. The carers for medication only started yesterday, after a small crisis at the weekend where he was clearly confused about this, and I am concerned that his constant shopping is putting them at risk as well as himself!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Love2sing.

It’s a worrying time for everyone. I’m glad you’ve found the forum. I know you will find lots of help and support here.

Trude

Apr 2, 2020
My mum is 82 and lives alone. She received Boris's leaflet telling her what she should do, stay at home, she read it a few times to me while on the phone reminding her to take pills this morning.(She thought it was Sunday!) I am hoping her obsession with re reading mail and things that come in the post will help to keep her indoors. X

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
The risk for my mother of continuing with her trips to the shops ( several times a day) and lack of social distancing means that she will not be discharged from hospital, following a fall in the house, back to her house. She has been allocated a social worker who is recommending that mum goes to a temporary placement until care homes reopen. Well, that's the plan, they've just got to find somewhere!