Cycling

BOFOX1979

Sep 25, 2016
Hi all,

I just wanted to share my experience of fundraising for the Alzheimer's Society, in the hope it might encourage others to do the same.

Last year I ran 10k, which felt fantastic. The support from people along the route was fantastic, especially the AS team. And as it was the Great Newham London Run, finishing in the Olympic Stadium all the more special.

Unfortunately I'm not as young as I used to be, and dodgy feet mean running isn't as easy for me now. That's where cycling came in to stay fit, and really the point of my post is to encourage people to get involved cycling for AS. I recently completed the London to Brighton cycle, and here are a few things I learned;

• The longer distances involved make people much more generous, out of proportion to the distance. We raised a lot more

• You'll find people of all ages and abilities on the course, and whilst it's not easy I think most could geniunely do it with some training. Cycling to work was enough for me

• You don't need an expensive bike - although something suitable for road cycling, i.e. not a mountain bike, will make it a lot easier.

I'm thinking about doing London to Paris next year, so if anyone wants to link up or chat then feel free to PM me.

kayt

Jul 18, 2017
Hi all,

I just wanted to share my experience of fundraising for the Alzheimer's Society, in the hope it might encourage others to do the same.

Last year I ran 10k, which felt fantastic. The support from people along the route was fantastic, especially the AS team. And as it was the Great Newham London Run, finishing in the Olympic Stadium all the more special.

Unfortunately I'm not as young as I used to be, and dodgy feet mean running isn't as easy for me now. That's where cycling came in to stay fit, and really the point of my post is to encourage people to get involved cycling for AS. I recently completed the London to Brighton cycle, and here are a few things I learned;

• The longer distances involved make people much more generous, out of proportion to the distance. We raised a lot more

• You'll find people of all ages and abilities on the course, and whilst it's not easy I think most could geniunely do it with some training. Cycling to work was enough for me

• You don't need an expensive bike - although something suitable for road cycling, i.e. not a mountain bike, will make it a lot easier.

I'm thinking about doing London to Paris next year, so if anyone wants to link up or chat then feel free to PM me.

Hi, what a fantastic achievement - I too enjoy running but my knees are starting to shout back at me now. I am looking for people to take part in my 3rd annual fundraiser for Alzheimer's Society. It is a virtual event where you have to run, walk or cycle 5k, any where you happen to be and on any day during September, you pay a £5.00 entry fee and you receive a medal for your hard work. I have an event on facebook if you'd like to take a look: Virtual 5K Memory Run/Walk/cycle 2017 thank you