1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. Jean1234

Jean1234 Registered User

Mar 19, 2015
    Hi TP friends
    It's all getting on top of me this week. I am so very tired of having to make all the decisions and arrangements and trying to get my house cleared and ready to sell. We can't stay here, we need to sell up and return to the Uk and my OH keeps saying he doesn't want to sell until I remind him we are not in the UK and then he understands again until the next time. I feel as if I am always telling him what to do, or not to do in some cases, turning into this horrible nag just to keep things running fairly smoothly. Just could do with a great big hug from someone to show I am not forgotten.

2. Quilty

Quilty Registered User

Aug 28, 2014
    GLASGOW
    Hello Jean, a bug hug from me friend. You have so many stressful things to do - moving house, moving country and taking care of your OH. Are you going to have support in England when you come back? I hope you have family and friends to lean on. You always have us. Keep strong, deep breaths and one step at a time - you can do it!
    Love
    Quilty

3. Jean1234

Jean1234 Registered User

Mar 19, 2015
    Thank you.

4. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    Hi Jean123
    Wish there was more to be done to help you keep it all together
    This is a community and you are a member here - very much not forgotten
    keep coming here to let off steam
    warm thoughts and much sympathy winging their way to you

5. Jinx

Jinx Registered User

Mar 13, 2014
    Pontypool
    No shortage of cyber hugs here, hope things ease a bit for you. (((((((X)))))))

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

6. rhubarbtree

rhubarbtree Registered User

Jan 7, 2015
    North West
    Hi Jean 1234,

It is the responsibility for everything that is so wearing. I've always been the mover and shaker in our relationship but at least I used to feel OH was coming along with me. Like you I'm in the midst of packing boxes (not moving but having our loft altered). I'm reasonably sure it is the right decision and that when it is finished life will be easier BUT it's so hard keep explaining to OH and everyone else who feels like putting their oar in, why I'm doing what I'm doing.

You sound like you have thought it through and the move is the best choice for you. Was watching a housing programme this morning where an elderly couple were reduced to sleeping in chairs downstairs, bathroom upstairs and broken, hoarded stuff everywhere but she wanted to stay in her house. Not the way to live. We must make the effort to improve while we can.

Sending you strength messages.

7. Scarlett123

Scarlett123 Registered User

Apr 30, 2013
    Essex
    An Ode to Cyber Hugs!

We're here for one another, and we really understand
    When times are tough, you're feeling rough
    And need a helping hand

Because we all are scattered, and live so far apart
    We can't be "there", to stroke your hair
    And help your heavy heart

But, thanks to new technology, there's things that we can do
    If you're in need, your posts we'll read
    And send our love to you

We're Cyber Hugs Anonymous, a friendly place to be
    With hugs galore, and then some more
    From your buddies on TP :):):)

8. Jean1234

Jean1234 Registered User

Mar 19, 2015
    Thank you everyone for your replies. A lovely poem Scarlett. I shall pull myself together and get on with what needs doing. I AM doing the right thing, just need to keep reminding myself and I have my lovely TP buddies beside me. JEAN

9. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    That's smart Scarlett!:D

10. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    I love that Scarlett :D

Jean I'm sending you a big hug & strength to get through today.

11. esmeralda

esmeralda Registered User

Nov 27, 2014
    Devon
    Sending you the very best of wishes and thoughts, and of course a huge hug.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

12. Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
    Essex
    Thank you. :) I think I might start a business "Odes R Us" :D xxx

13. Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
    Essex
    My pleasure :) xxx

14. Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
    Essex
    Reading the posts on the various threads, I reckon there are a lot of you in need of massive cyber hugs. xxx

15. nannylondon

nannylondon Registered User

Apr 7, 2014
    London
    Lovely Scarlett very good description of our cyber community xxx

16. Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
    Essex
    Thanks nanny. Sadly, there are many carers out there in need of cyber hugs at the moment. :(