Cut off in me prime ...

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
I typed a fairly long reply on a thread last night but when I went to post it I had lost it all, probably because towards the end I had to stop and go and help Brian and the "cut-off" mechanism knocked me off my "logged-in" pedestal. (I see it as a heavy-weight ball on a chain, swinging ever closer as I try to complete my post.) May I ask what purpose the cut-off serves? Is it absolutely necessary? It would be one less little stress-inducer if it were removed. (Another is my inability to cut and paste in less than 20 to 30 minutes.) (And why has my embarrassed icon appeared up there instead of at the end of that last sentence?)

Could one not stay logged on until the message in preparation has been finished and posted?

Yours, hopefully, Nan XXX

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
It shouldn't be doing that. I remain logged on until I log off - even if I shut the computer down, everything. When you log in, there's a box immediately underneath which says something like "keep me logged in" which you should tick.

I don't think this is to do with forum software but more to do with your individual setup.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Nan

I have sometimes lost something I have wanted to post and I think it's because I pressed the wrong key on a sensitive laptop:( It drives me potty when it happens. HOWEVER, it has been recommended by previous TPers that it is a good idea to type up what you want in 'Word' and then cut and paste it onto TP. I do this if it is something lengthy or complicated.

Love xx

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Hallo, Jennifer - Thank you for your suggestion. I have to admit that I usually - make that always - hit what I call the paragraph button after putting in my password, rather than the button marked Log In. I am intrigued to see that you remain logged in even after closing it all down. I have not come across (having just logged on now) a "keep me logged on" button, but propose to not log off from here on in and see if that does the trick.

And thank you Helen, too. I quite often now type any longer posts elsewhere first but spend so much time struggling to cut/copy/paste/print (the instructions seem to vary each time), I did hope I could perhaps stop doing it. Maybe with Jennifer's suggestion above I may have cracked it. Fingers crossed!

Love, Nan XXX

julieann15

Jun 13, 2008
Leicestershire
This happens to me too

I do not have the box saying "keep me logged in" and I too experience this too Nan. If I know it is going to be a long post I type it in word and copy and paste it over to the thread. I think if I don't touch my computer for 10-15 mins or so it logs me out of TP!!

Love Julie xx

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Ok - it's called "remember me" as per the below screen shot.

The trouble is, this may be something to do with cookies (that is, your system is set up not to accept them) or something else and I don't have a PC so I can't play around and check.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 549

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I have another suggestion. Even if you don't have remember me ticked and you type a post and when you hit Submit Reply, you're told you aren't logged in, just log in on the page that comes up then and your post will post. The actual time out is 40 mins and it doesn't count typing as actually doing anything.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
And now I'm trying to find out what happens if I type a reply but let myself get logged out before I hit Submit Reply and then I log back in by hitting the enter/return key (as per Nan above). It shouldn't make a difference but you never know.

OK - actually I've logged out on another screen.

And pressing enter to log in should make no difference.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Just to re-interate what Jennifer has said, if you don't tick the Remember Me box when logging in, and you don't interact with the TP website for 40 minutes (and interacting in this case means something that involves clicking on a link) then your status will be changed on the TP software from logged in to logged out.

Now you won't know that you're now considered to be logged out by TP until you try to act on something that requires you to be logged in - like Submit a post or access your Private Messages.

At that point you should get a message to login again and if you do that straight away, on that screen, your request to submit your post should just carry on as before with nothing lost.

Also, even if you don't want the computer that you're on to 'remember' you (maybe because it's a shared computer at work or in a public place like a library), you can still tick Remember Me when you login (so your session will never automatically expire) and then just click on the Log Out option (far right on the green navigation bar at the top of the screen) and your details will not be remembered by the computer.

Take care,

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Update

I just wanted to add something about the screen that appears asking you to log back in after a period of inactivity, which look like this:

log_back_in.jpg

It's really important that you use the boxes in the middle of that screen to log in and not the area at the top right corner that you normally use.

If you use the area in the middle of the screen labelled Log in you should not lose any work if you were in the process of submitting a new post :).

If you use the area in the top right of the screen (which just appears on every page by default in that location) - then you will be sent to blank screen limbo :(.

Also, as a last ditch manoeuvre, you should be able to use your back button (depending on your browser/computer settings) to go back to your original page where you were composing your thread and see the text. You won't be able to Submit it, but you should be able to copy it and then, in your logged in state, open a reply/new thread window and paste your text in.

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Thank you, Sandy and Jennifer, for all of your messages. I have now discovered the "Remember me" button and find that I am logged on to-day after closing down the computer last night. Great stuff. Am still struggling with "copy" "paste" etc. but to-day it took only about ten minutes compared with the usual twenty odd. Am getting there ..... Love, Nan XXX

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Update: The system will now allow you to be inactive (typing into the message editor does not count as active) for up to 60 minutes before you are logged out, if you have not chosen the Remember Me option.