CT scan

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
My mum is 82 and has been in care home since last November following many weeks in hospital,dehydrated,severe weight loss etc.She hasn't been diagnosed but definite signs of dementia,my Dad has advanced AD so have been here before.Mum has had 2 strikes,several TIA's and is physically in a very bad way,incontinent,needs feeding,washing,hoist required for transfers,can't even change position in bed or chair.Despite all this manages to cook,do housework,go for a walk.I'm sure you get the picture.Anyway she was taken into A and E a couple of weeks ago after a funny turn,tests inconclusive and was discharged the same day.Then told that follow up x ray needed as original not very good quality,she had x ray on Monday,have just been told there is some shadowing and tests required to rule out lung cancer,1st step is CT scan.I don't know what benefit will come from this as she would not tolerate any aggressive treatment.I don't have POA for health and welfare.Any advice?

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
What a lot to carry.... so the CT scan, presuming that Mum can oblige the radiographers, will give a ( pardon the pun) clearer picture of the lungs. If it is cancer then the Doctors will be able to plan a course of action that will hopefully let Mum remain pain free for as long as asap, but I, personally, would not be encouraging any agressive treatment.
Good luck.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
The CT scan will let you know exactly what's going on & give the Drs an idea of what is needed for her to be made comfortable.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If she can tolerate the scan without too much stress/agitation I would go for it.

When the results are known I would have a serious talk with her GP, who will be well aware of all her comorbidities, and ask for advice.

Sometimes a question such as 'what would you do if it was your mum?' is helpful, it all depends on how well you know the GP.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
I would get the scan done with a view to future planning. It may not be cancer after all, and then a different treatment plan might be better. I agree with everyone else, I'd be aiming for mum to be kept comfortable as a priority.

Hope it goes well. Hugs to you :)

Lindy xx

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
Thanks everyone for your advice.I feel a lot more rational now,I've had so many 'can't do this anymore'moments over the past few years but of course I can and I do because there is no other option.Will get scan done then speak to GP.Onwards and upwards!

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
colleague at work's dad is in his late 80s and recently diagnosed with lung cancer. They have done a couple of scans to monitor progress but right from the outset they said that they didn't think there was any benefit in treatment at his age so you may find it is to help with the pain care and to know what is going on.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti