crying

gugsi

Dec 20, 2011
Higham Ferrers, Northants
Mum is in quite early stages of alzheimers but has started to cry a lot and keeps saying she is very tired all the time and depressed but does not know why. She no longer feels like going out much, she insists that she is not worrying over the illness (she is aware of what has been diagnosed).She does take aricept but the other day did not recognise the ring my sister was wearing it was mums engagement ring dad having died many years ago this really bought it home to us as she idolised my father.I can take the constant repetition and forgetfulness from her, but to see her crying and so unhappy is tearing me apart, sometimes I wish she were at the stage where she does not know anything may be then she would not be hurting, how do I help her Gugsi :confused:

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
It's awful when there seems nothing you can do , has she been prescribed antidepressant tablets my husband who has vascular dementia used to cry all the time when he came out of hospital the doctor prescribed him some antidepressants and he is fine" doesn',t cry"as long as he takes one every day. .

Jeany x

gugsi

Dec 20, 2011
Higham Ferrers, Northants
thankyou jeany we are picking up a prescription for her tomorrow that the alzheimer consultant has prescribed, fingers crosed it will help tho' mum does seem intolerant to a lot of medications

counttoten

Apr 17, 2012
thankyou jeany we are picking up a prescription for her tomorrow that the alzheimer consultant has prescribed, fingers crosed it will help tho' mum does seem intolerant to a lot of medications

Hello gugsi,
With my mother, anti-depressants helped a lot with the crying in the early stages. They continue to help and have had an effect when aricepts has not. In my mother's case, the 'depression' did become the hook from which all other symptoms were hung and we ended-up with a situation where she believed that treating the depression had made her better. She went on to refuse to see any doctors etc for her AZ as she insisted that she was better.
But that is another issue. The point being that the anti-depressants certainly helped with the crying (and I agree it is so hard to see someone so unhappy and weepy).

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello gugsi

My husband cried easily in the early stages. I think he felt particularly vulnerable and a bit frightened too.
Your mother might be having similar feelings, especially if she no longer feels like going out.

velveteen

May 20, 2012
This is my first time on a forum!! But when I saw the word 'crying' I had to read on. My Mum has not long been diagnosed and is struggling. We live 90 miles apart and so speaking to her on the phone and hearing her crying every time is hard. To hear that there is something that may help is a real relief- not that Im sure if Mum will agree to take anti-depressants ( the age old stigma) but its worth a try ! when she has a good day and is possitive her memory is so much better. We are having post diagnosis counciling on tuesday so maybe we can talk about it then. Thank you you have turned a bad day into a slightly better one.

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
My husband was very upset with what was happeing to him and having already had experience of my mother many years ago I knew that he would be less unhappy when the disease hd progressed.

Therefore when he was eventually offered Aricept ( delayed for over 18 months) we decided to say no to it.

He is now relatively contented and totally unaware of the situation he is in. I would say he woud judge his life as very pleasant, no responsibilities, doing what he likes when he likes and for as long as he likes.

Of course it is easier for me too but as we live in the same house I am able to supervise him and keep him out of danger. When someone lives apart from the carer then I feel that Aricept is probably a useful medication to take.

Jeannette

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
This is my first time on a forum!! But when I saw the word 'crying' I had to read on. My Mum has not long been diagnosed and is struggling. We live 90 miles apart and so speaking to her on the phone and hearing her crying every time is hard. To hear that there is something that may help is a real relief- not that Im sure if Mum will agree to take anti-depressants ( the age old stigma) but its worth a try ! when she has a good day and is possitive her memory is so much better. We are having post diagnosis counciling on tuesday so maybe we can talk about it then. Thank you you have turned a bad day into a slightly better one.
Welcome Velveteen I do hope that she will try them and that they work,when my husband saw to his own tablets I could always tell if he hadn't taken them because he would get tearful and anxious, now that I have to give him them I am at least sure that he takes them .

Best wishes Jeany x

velveteen

May 20, 2012
My mum is hopefully moving into a retirement flat with 24hour cover in the next month or so which is only a couple of minutes from me. This is obviously distressing for her in itself, but better for both of us
in the mid term. Thank you all for your replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
old ginger