1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice.....

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by Little Sis, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Little Sis

Little Sis Registered User

Jul 26, 2006
    West Yorkshire
    I know I will not be alone in mastering all of these abilities, trying to be the "strong one" all the time has taken a toll on me. My father has Lewy Body dementia and Parkinsons, he is 83 and has had a good life but I am still upset, angry,confused and all the other words you all know so well but, what really takes the biscuit is my beautiful, gorgeous, kind, gentle brother suffers from A.D. and as of last friday is now in a residential home........He is FIFTY SEVEN years old.........My head hurts, I mean really physically hurts with the whirlwind of thoughts and feelings and emotions that are rampaging through it. I try my best to be there for everyone, try to make them smile, help with whatever needs doing but inside I am screaming.......if only I knew why??????

2. Lila13

Lila13 Registered User

Feb 24, 2006
    I hope you can find a safe place where you can scream out loud.

3. cynron

cynron Registered User

Sep 26, 2005
    east sussex
    says it all

Dear Little Sis.

I think your title says it for all of us.Keep posting you will find friends on here.

big HUG.

cYNRON X X

4. Amy

Amy Registered User

Jan 4, 2006
    Hiya Little Sis,
    Welcome to TP - feel free to scream on here. Yes I think dementia is difficult to accept in the elderly, but at least you feel that they have had a fair crack at living, but when it strikes younger you feel that both your loved one and you have been cheated. There is no answer to the "Why" - it is just the way life is.
    For your health, you do need to be able to weep, speak and scream - no need to put on a show here.
    Love Helen

5. Kayla

Kayla Registered User

May 14, 2006
    Kent
    Cry, talk, scream etc.

This morning mum was crying and tearful and rather more confused than normal. She said that she knew she was all muddled up about something and couldn't remember things properly, but she didn't know what she was muddled up about. There seem to be more questions than answers with dementia.
    I didn't know what to say to her, except that the anaesthetic she had in hospital could have affected her memory. I felt powerless to help her, but glad the NH staff are there to look after her.
    Kayla

6. Tender Face

Tender Face Account Closed

Mar 14, 2006
    NW England
    Hi, Little Sis, I don't mean to ask this to pry nor expect you to answer, but is there anyone trying their best for you? Whether or not, do you ever stop and allow yourself to do something that is 'best for you'? No-one can be or should be expected to take so much on without support in some form or another..... TP is one lifeline.... glad you have found it!

Love Karen (TF), x

7. Helena

Helena Registered User

May 24, 2006
    The LBD group on yahoogroups can be very helpful

Things like anaesthetics do seem to trigger real problems in LBD patients

8. Margarita

Margarita Registered User

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    #8 Margarita, Jul 27, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2006

9. Libby

Libby Registered User

May 20, 2006
    North East
    Hi Little Sis

If only there was someone to blame for this awful disease - you'd feel as if you could do something about it by ranting at them and shouting - WHY!! WHAT HAVE THEY EVER DONE TO YOU!!! But sadly there's not - how terribly sad for your brother to have it and at such a young age.

I really feel for you.

I think I've typed that sentence quite a lot in the past few months since joining TP, but I feel for so many people here

Scream and shout as much as you like - think of us as invisible friends.

Take care

Libs

10. connie

connie Registered User

Mar 7, 2004
    Frinton-on-Sea
    Dear Little Sis,

I echo Libby's post. We are all your invisible friends. Please look after yourself.

11. Little Sis

Little Sis Registered User

Jul 26, 2006
    West Yorkshire
    Thank you all xx

Just to say thank you to everyone who has taken time out of their hectic lives to answer my silent scream......Today was not so bad, I think just knowing that If I wanted to, I had someone (all you lovely people) who would not judge me or critiscise me, but who could quite genuinely understand me and from personal experience too......It really does help as I am sure regulars among you already know.......Thank you xx