Cruel Council Worker

RobinH

Apr 9, 2012
London
We went to Salisbury on Saturday, around the cathedral, tea & cake, ice cream. On the way back to the car mum needed the loo. I helped her out of her chair (she can't walk too far these days) and gave her the 20p, which she gave to the attendant. He opened the gate and let her in. A few minutes later she emerged - always a bit confused in a loo, sometimes she locks herself in and can't get out, or can't find the exit.

She was confused about how to trigger the exit barrier. Eventually managed, then stopped half way out, and the barrier closed on her legs. She started to cry, and wobbled, in danger of falling. As I rushed forward to rescue her I noticed the attendant laughing openly.

When I challenged him on this, he just blanked me.

I tried to complain to the council, but their system is **** and I don't expect a reply. Hope the guy learns about dementia one day and perhaps shows a bit more compasssion.

di65

Feb 28, 2013
new zealand
this has absolutely nothing to do with dementia at all, but respect for others.:mad:This person should not be in a position where has contact with the human race if he cannot show compassion and respect. How would he have felt if it was his Mum that had been in this position. I would suggest that you ring every day and complain until you get some action. Hugs to you, and happy for you that you had your day out, even if it did have a less than happy ending.

cobden28

Jan 31, 2012
Complain officially, in writing, to someone high in authority! This attandant's attitude is totally wrong :mad:and it does not give a good impression at all for anyone who might be planning a visit to Salisbury; puts me off right away.

I suggest you try writing to the head of the city council in Salisbury for a start.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I totally agree. You should write a formal complaint about this person. If you get nowhere then I think you should site to your local councillor. That is shocking and unacceptable behaviour.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Even though in a different county, I live only about 20 minutes away from Salisbury and I think you should definitely write or email a complaint - or even write a letter to the local paper. I'm afraid I don't know what that is at present but it must be easy to google it. If you repeat what you said about neither you nor your friends ever visiting the city again, as it is a popular tourist destination, the council won't like that.

I don't go to Salisbury very often these days but used to go quite often years ago and if these are the toilets by the central car park, and with a barrier, it sounds as though they might be, they have long been a source of annoyance to me and everybody who's been with me. I know the attendant won't be the same one but I recall a very unhelpful person there when they opened and the whole concept was new to people.
I don't blame you for being angry, I would be too. It was disgraceful behaviour.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I agree with previous posters; try and find the time/energy to complain. If we don't this type of behaviour becomes accepted. Like Saffie I am within striking distance of Salisbury and it's a lovely place but the community should be outraged that there is such an uncaring, cruel person in their midst-especially in a public place. I think you and your Mum deserve an apology.

Take care

Lyn T

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
I wonder if it would help you to get a Radar key so your mum could use the disable toilet? Then you could be close by if she got in trouble.
Maybe you could complain in writing to the council.

Lin x

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I agree please find the energy to makes formal complaint, write to your local councillor, the chief exec of council whatever his/her title is. Keep at it until you get a full apology and a reassurance that the attendant either gets training or at the very least a written warning

This will have spoilt the day out completely for you and your mum

Pennie

Jun 16, 2013
Somerset
I agree with the others, do get on to them in the strongest terms, how awful for you!

Just as a btw I am also not far from Salisbury, used to go regularly until I came to care for my mother and now can't really get out, but it would be fun to meet if we could ever get an "away day".

Hair Twiddler

Aug 14, 2012
Middle England
Please do write to Salisbury City Council and complain. All councils take complaints,comments and compliments seriously especially the very serious ones - which this is. The Director of the Service will be the best person for you to contact. If it isn't the City Council who are responsible for the loo's you used they will let you know who to write to - especially if you requst a reply within three working days (or whatever you think reasonable).
I've just looked on their web site and there is page listeing all the councillors by name!

trigger

Account on hold
Aug 25, 2009
Plymstock Devon
Sorry but laughter is an instinctive thing if you see something funny you laugh I don’t expect for one minute the attendant knew she had dementia we watch You Been Framed on TV and I’m sure some of those clips we laugh at the people in them suffered some bad injuries unfortunately here in UK we complain about anything

Havemercy

Oct 8, 2012
Sorry but laughter is an instinctive thing if you see something funny you laugh I don’t expect for one minute the attendant knew she had dementia we watch You Been Framed on TV and I’m sure some of those clips we laugh at the people in them suffered some bad injuries unfortunately here in UK we complain about anything

Yes - there are some ignorant and idiotic people who will laugh at anything. However, I do believe that anyone who laughs at an elderly lady in evident distress has something very wrong with them.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012

I've laughed at inappropriate things, the dog that peed in a child's school satchel, I got chucked out of midnight mass one Christmas many moons ago, as I got a fit of the giggles when one person f a r t e d really loudly during a quiet prayer. I've laughed when a slim young lady walked out loo with her skirt tucked in her knickers.

I would never laugh at a distressed trapped old lady who could fall and hurt herself. If I'd have seen that I'd have rushed to help the poor woman. The Original Poster needs to complain about this heartless creature. The old are entitled to dignity too.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
we watch You Been Framed on TV and I’m sure some of those clips we laugh at the people in them suffered some bad injuries
Actually, I don't laugh at those clips. i usually say "Ouch. I bet that hurt" or some such comment. The clips are often not that funny especially when they involve an animal or a small child. However, it makes money for the one who sends the clip in and good TV for some.:(

Noorza, I think in churches and anywhere else where solemnity is the order of the day, it doesn't take much to get a fit of the giggles!:D

Last edited:

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Actually, I don't laugh at those clips. i usually say "Ouch. I bet that hurt" or some such comment. The clips are often not that funny especially when they involve an animal or a small child. However, it makes money for the one who sends the clip in and good TV for some.

!:D

I agree Saffie I always feel sorry for the kids, if we can see what is going to happen surely the parent who is taking the film can and should prevent it happening instead of laughing and carrying on filming, I think most of them are cringe worthy, I certainly don't find the ones where people or animals hurt themselves or are distressed funny ,

Jeany x

I am sorry about what happened to your mum Robin and the attendant should have helped instead of laughing ,

Last edited:

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
I hate YBF. Anyone who thinks it's funny to video their child falling asleep in their dinner deserves having said camera inserted somewhere painful :(

Lin x

Jilly1

Jul 22, 2013
Nottinghamshire
That is absolutely terrible. How could he laugh at anyone for doing that and getting stuck. I hope you get a reply from your council.

Jilly1

Jul 22, 2013
Nottinghamshire
I hate YBF. Anyone who thinks it's funny to video their child falling asleep in their dinner deserves having said camera inserted somewhere painful :(

Lin x
we have often said similar at the programme. They watch their child fall face down into water and carry on filming? What are these people on?

Jilly1

Jul 22, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Just as a btw I am also not far from Salisbury, used to go regularly until I came to care for my mother and now can't really get out, but it would be fun to meet if we could ever get an "away day".[/QUOTE]
Perhaps we should all meet up and go visit this nice man! lol:D