Crossroads Care Support

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Hi All,

I've just spent a very nice 'tea and info' afternoon with our local Crossroads support rep.

I did register with them some months back, but they have only been able to contact me this week due to overload....

Crossroads is a charity organisation who provide additional carer support to unpaid carers at home. Basically their brief is to provide free care for special occasions or on a weekly basis if possible. This enables carers such as ourselves to have a free morning, afternoon or evening to go out and enjoy ourselves a bit! You can also book for weekend help too.

Ronnie was incredibly helpful and has given me lots of information. She is also going to come back next week and introduce the carer to my parents. She knows exactly what she's on about and worked for the AD Society for some time before joining Crossroads. It was so wonderful to meet somebody who is so positive and helpful.

If anyone would like to register, the email address for Crossroads is manager@crossroadcare.fslive.co.uk

Best wishes, Jude

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
We have an Asian lady from crossroads,she comes for 3 hours on a Wednesday afternnoon.
At first my wife was really obstinate ,she didn't want to be minded like a kid etc etc.
Our lady has now been coming now for about 2 months and although Peg doesn't remember her from one week to the next she greets her like a sister.
They go out now to the local park or the super market and it works a treat.
I am to be given another 3 hours in September,wonderful.
My mainstay and backup is a lady from D.I.S.C. Dementia information and Support for Cares, a new care service of Crossrods , established in 2003 they also are based at the same building as Crossroads.
I am assured by my contact "that she is always there for me"that is a great comfort to me.
Rest assured Crossroads are used to all types of patients and do understand AD
best Wishes
Norman

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Nada,

I assumed that the email address Ronnie gave me was an national one. You are probably correct in saying that it's a Surrey/Sussex address. Sorry about that if I'm wrong.

Jude

snuffyuk

Jul 8, 2004
Near Bristol
Crossroads are a gem. They come to me twice a week. Not only is it good for me but it is good for mum to see a new face and someone different to "talk" to apart from me.
Mum is 86 tomorrow although she does not seem aware of a birthday.
I have a few of her freinds coming in for a surprise coffee morning!!

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Snuffy,

I hope you have a wonderful birthday party for your mother tomorrow. Both my parents were 86 in February this year.

Please give my regards to your mother. I only wish that I was as cluey as Brucie as I could send you an email card. Anyway all the very best.

Jude

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Here's one from all of us

First time I've been called cluey!

Attachments

• 86th.jpg
    86th.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1,866

snuffyuk

Jul 8, 2004
Near Bristol
Many many thanks you guys.
I thought I had said 10.30am for 11. Gwen a very old friend of mums arrived a 10am. No cups or coffee ready. My sis in law was going to arrive for 10.15 to help me. She is running round in circles looking after 2 grand children so did not arrive till gone 11.

Mum did not know about it but when everyone started to arrive there was no suprise on her face whatsoever. Cups and saucers "went to the wind" and we ended up with mugs. They all told me not to worry so much.
Mum did enjoy it and was quite tired.

Did my best

emscub

Dec 5, 2003
Bath
I'm glad you're all saying good things about Crossroads as I've just taken a job with them to help me get experience during Uni.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
.. and your best is just what was needed. Well done - these things seldom go to our plan, but what the hell.

If your Mum enjoyed it then that's another victory to you. What more could you have asked for?

I was once invited to speak at an international conference in Miami. I was first speaker of the day so got there early and before everyone else. A man in overalls came in and went to the podium and started to remove the projector. I said "I hope there will be a replacement.." He said "yeah" and walked out.

Turned out he was nicking it.

The first question from the audience, after my talk, came from a burly Miami policeman, and went along the lines of "would you come to the back please, I want to ask you some questions about the stolen projector"

Not exactly what I'd hoped for.

Now that's a disaster!

Give yourself a pat on the back for all victories.

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Snuffy,

Sounds like a wonderful party despite the timing problems. We've given up with cups now - we're all mugs in this family. Whatever, your mother would have been delighted to have her family and friends with her.

Dear Brucie, I'm SO glad to know that weird things happen to you too. Great story!

Apart from being stuck in the odd freezer here and there, I have a suspicion that I attract chaotic situations. It's a worry!

In 1974 I was out with friends in Guildford, only metres away from the Horse & Groom when it was bombed. In 1976 I was in the post office in Kingston, Jamaica. Two hours later it was blown up. In Nov 1979, I was in the post office in Tehran when a couple of local soldiers advised me to leave. The American Embassy was seized that afternoon. In 1984, I flew out of Delhi about an hour before Indira Ghandi was assassinated and civil war broke out in the city. Can't remember which year the CHOGM Conference was held in Brighton, but yes, yours truly had been strolling along the seafront only hours before that happened. And unfortunately, of course, I was in Bali when the bomb decimated a large chunk of Jalan Legian and had been shopping in Kuta that afternoon.

I do hasten to add that I am NOT a terrorist. I guess travelling puts one in risky situations - but you'd think you would be fairly safe in downtown Guildford and Brighton? Still, it makes me wonder.......

Jude

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Emma,

What a great idea. These guys are genuinely concerned. You'll get a lot of experience in a variety of situations and I'm sure gain some very valuable information and insight into helping with your Nan.

Best wishes Jude

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Helen,

Um, well wot can I say? I guess if there was a volcanic eruption and the mountain blew away, it would make the walk a whole lot easier for others later on.....!

Jude

Geraldine

Oct 17, 2003
Nottingham
When Mum was at home I had excellent support from the Broxtowe Crossraods in Notts. The Manager was so reassuring and understanding and our carer was just brilliant. She took Mum out twice a week, shopping , hairdressers. They also arranged a night sitter for me which I 'paid ' for using my carer's vouchers from Social Services

Geraldine

emscub

Dec 5, 2003
Bath
I think the vouchers Geraldine mentions are something called direct payments. I know most areas in the UK are meant to have introduced it but a lot of them aren't actively pushing the idea (as they should be), so many people aren't aware of it.

It's basically a scheme whereby you apply to be given vouchers to arrange the services you require - giving you more freedom. I know in my area they are still working on gaining vouchers for carers to get respite but I think you're able to get the vouchers for the person/s you care for.

It's probably best to ask your CPN or similar about them if you're interested.

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Nada,

Thanks. I will contact Social Services and enquire if we may be eligible under the 'voucher' scheme. Shan't get my hopes up though, since they've already refused me any funding on the basis of being a 'non resident'. It's worth a try though.

Jude

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi Jude - having just read your post about the disasters which follow you around I wondered if it would be best for you to post your travel arrangements and itineraries so we can avoid you!!!!

Cheers!!!

Izzy