Crossroads Care Support

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Izzy,

Sounds like a sound idea to me. In fact, when we used to go on family holidays years ago it would always belt down with rain for a fortnight solidly, or my brother would get chicken pox, food poisoning or some other equally foul ailment.

Friends used to actually phone and check when we were planning to go away and to which destination, to ensure that they avoided those weeks and locations.

I am not joking here....

By the way, since Bali has had it's bomb, I really hope that there isn't any concern about Flamboyant as a target and I've always managed to stay one step ahead of chicken pox and bombs.

In fact, I should mention that I flew back to Bali on 6 October 2002 and 'hijacked' a few people on the flight to Bali to come up to Candi Dasa and stay at Flamboyant, including a young English chap. He was planning to stay in Poppies Lane in Kuta for a fortnight. I persuaded him to come up to Candi Dasa and stay at Flamboyant instead. Six days later, the guesthouse area that he was planning to stay in was blown sky high.

Understandably we've remained pretty good mates since then. Tim is still on his world wide backpack tour and still very much alive, thank God. He's sent quite a few guests to me at Flamboyant since then. It was a very happy coincidence that we met when we did and sat next to each other on the flight, because he would have died in the bomb blast otherwise. Doesn't bear thinking about Iz...

Jude

Veronica

Aug 15, 2005
Lancashire
Crossroads and vouchers

Hello everyone, back in May I decided enough was enough and I just had to take on my Mum's 'condition' and get things sorted. It has almost been a full time job but at last things are falling into place and carers from Crossroads have been an absolute God send.
I have lost count of the number of meetings and assessments we have had to endure but we have plodded on and got through them all. Social Services were lovely and suggested the voucher scheme following an initial assessment.

The main problem we had was the amount of literature that Dad then received - huge envelope, dozens of leaflets, didn't know where to start and even I was overwhelmed by them all - so we put them all back in the envelope and filed them - under the tv. :eek:

2 books of vouchers arrived, we rang Social Services to find out what to do with them - dig into pile of literature and find list of approved providers ah ha!

My Father was reluctant to have anyone outside the family enter the house so we started with one hour for a carer to come in and play scrabble with Mum while me and Dad were in the house but otherwise engaged. It worked a treat - Mum beat the carer at scrabble just as she did the rest of us and Dad was reassured that here was a nice person who could help.

Four months down the line we have:
Carers Mon, Wed, Fri am
With luck, a day centre for Mum to go to on Tuesdays - if she likes it tomorrow.
Voucher scheme replaced by a Care Package - suggested by Social Services
More vouchers to arrive shortly but to be used for ad hoc care as and when needed.

The Care Package we may have to pay for so applied for (and got) Attendance Allowance.

Sadly our Scrabble champ can no longer play but is ace at Word Search - even if she does go around corners if she can't find all the letters in a straight line!

Veronica

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Veronica
so pleased that you have got things sorted.
I cannot praise Crossroads enough,I don't know how I would have coped without them.
My wife did object to sitters,but now they are like old friends and she enjoys their company.
No one in Birmingham seems to know anything about voucher schemes, but we do have direct payments,which I have finally managed to obtain.
I think it is similar to a care package,an agreed action plan,agreed funding then paid to the carer into a specially set up bank account
Best wishes
Norman

scottydog

Jul 26, 2006
Birmingham
Hi to you all.

i thought I would add, if I may, an observation regarding Crossroads caring for carers. I am a Social Care Trainer, and train the staff at Rugby Crossroads.

I have the pleasure of training staff and cannot wish to work with a more dedicated, caring group of people who have patience, understanding, humour and a dedication for those they assist in caring for.

I am pleased to be associated with Crossroads, Rugby and would give them the greatest endorsement I can.

The carers and Management team are really keen to make a difference, despite all the red tape that is placed in their way, and I am pleased to note some of you here experience thweir skills.

Good luck to you all.

Danny

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi danny

I couldn't agree with you more. I have two Crossroads ladies who come for two hours each week to sit with my husband.

They are both great, though completely different from each other. They are punctual, reliable, and work hard to stimulate my husband's speech.

The office is also very helpful, if I ask for a change of time to fit in with a meeting, the manager will bend over backwards to help me.

Crossroads has made such a diference to my life.

sandrah

Jul 11, 2007
west midlands
confused

Hello to everyone
I have just joined the forum.My father who has Alzheimer's lives with me and I am a bit confused reading about Crossroads.I phoned my nearest branch on monday and was told they only deal with physically disabled. Can anyone shed some light. Thanks Sandra

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
sandrah said:
My father who has Alzheimer's lives with me and I am a bit confused reading about Crossroads.I phoned my nearest branch on monday and was told they only deal with physically disabled.

Hi Sandra

I think the problem is that Crossroads operate mainly under contract to social services. We've had people before who have contacted them directly, and had no joy.

You need to contact social services and ask for a carers assessment. Better still, contact your local branch of Alzheimer Society or Princess Royal Trust, and get them to contact SS on your behalf. Stress that it is urgent.

If you can get in to see someone at PRT, you will find them very helpful.

SS will decide whether you need some time off during the week, and will allocate you some Crossroads time.

Sorry, it's a long way round, but it seems to be the best way to do it.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

PS Sorry, forgot to welcome you. I hope you'll find lots of support here,

Love,

sandrah

Jul 11, 2007
west midlands
Thanks Hazel
I am already finding this forum very helpful. I have just had a carers assessment but she didn't mention Crossroads it was the centre that my Dad goes to who told me about it. I will get in touch with dad's social worker and ask her about it. Thanks for all your advice. Sandra

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Sandrah
It is not correct that Crossroads only provide services for PH.
They also provide sitters for Dementia Patients.
Hazel has given good advice about community assessments.
At the assessment ask about direct payments.
All SS departments are being encouraged by central goverment offer direct payments to clients.
With this scheme you would have control of the finances and buy in your own support.
Have a look at this fact sheet
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/After_diagnosis/Sorting_out_your_money/info_directpayments.htm.
Hope this is helpful
Norman

sandrah

Jul 11, 2007
west midlands
Hi Norman
Thanks very much. I have now been in touch with my fathers social worker and hopefully she will sort it out. I am so glad I found this forum as I have it has been so very helpful, just knowing there are people out there going throught the same thing is a comfort and I don't feel so much on my own now.Even though my husband is a great support he can't know how it feels as it's not his dad. Kind Regards Sandrah

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Humphh

sandrah said:
Thanks Hazel
... I have just had a carers assessment but she didn't mention Crossroads
I don't know if Social Services personnel have to take a vow of non-disclosure, but the concensus of opinion at my local Carers' Group is that SS never tell you about anything you don't already know about & know you are entitled to claim for.

Sorry if anyone thinks that is unjustified, and for the cynical tone, but I speak as I find. I also give praise when it is due (watch this space ... but don't hold your breath!)

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Carer's Assessment ...

I've just had an official Carer's Assessment (as opposed to off-the-cuff chats & remarks), sorry to say the above opinion stands unchanged.

Very nice person, quite insightful, made all the right noises, asked about what other assessment we might have had already (OT, Daycare etc.) but didn't suggest anything that I didn't ask about specifically.

And how did I know about those? Talking Point and contacts made via TP of course!

BeverleyY

Jan 29, 2008
Ashford, Kent
I've seen Crossroads mentioned here, but only on this thread realised what they are.

My Dad's Care Manager has never mentioned Crossroads - ever!

My Dad is not entitled to financial support from SS as he has more than £21,500 in savings at present, plus a pension. He is therefore not entitled to direct payments.

I will ring Crossroads tomorrow and see what they can do.

Does anyone know, do they take cash payments?

Beverley

CYN

Jan 4, 2008
east sussex
I had my husbands name down for some help from crossroads,but i only got to get a visit for one am per week when i was registered and allocated a SW . Then you get some vouchers from social services to give to Crossroads which in turn help them with the finances. I was not charged for the sessions,but when my husband passed away i asked my friends to donate to Crossroads in his name if they wished.

Cynthia.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Beverley
Crossroads is named after that awful soap that was on TV,time back.
Noelle Gordon was the star
They are an agency, nothing to do with AS, and you can contact them directly if you are self funding.
We used them and our charges were £12 per hour.
Norman

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
I use them too one session of three hours a week. Payment is a voluntary contribution of £2.50 a session.

We have a wonderful lady and she has become a real friend in the 14 months she has been coming.:)

As Crossroads is a charity I sometimes give an extra contribution .

Linda x

BeverleyY

Jan 29, 2008
Ashford, Kent
I rang them today and I have an info pack on the way.

She did tell me there would be an assessment, and then there is a waiting list. She was unsure of charges.

In the meantime, I have contacted 2 other care companies - one I know also run the day care centre that is funded by SS. They charge £9.85 an hour, which was much more reasonable than the other one.

I am thinking, that maybe a carer coming in, doing some ironing (they will do any domestic chore for that hourly rate) whilst checking Dad is ok and has eaten his lunch. I think, that could be better than Day Care (for Dad's sake) as I am not sure he will settle with the Day Care.

We shall see eh!

Beverley

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
That seems to be very sensible - apart from anything else they can do things that you might not have time for if you go back to work, AND it means that your father doesn't have to feel that he's "being looked after".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA