Crisis point.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Having had a reasonable day my husband suddenly started pacing.It has gone on for so long and made worse by the fact that he refused his dinner. In the 54 years we have been together he has never refused to eat. He keeps going out and up to the corner of the road. and then back. and then out again.I have tried to find out what is the problem but he cannot explain himself. At 8.30 in the evening I am now worried that this is going to go on all night. It started at about 4.15.We have had a very upsetting week having had to have our lovely dog Tess put to sleep.After the initial upset on Monday he seemed to have dismissed it from his mind. Today we collected her ashes but he didn't seem worried by it. We had a chap from crossroads here for 2and a half hours he has been four times now, and that seemed to be o.k. He was diognosed 6 years ago and this last few months has deteriorated really quickly. I think this is the longest his has paced and refused to do anything else. I usually manage to distract him after an hour or so. Its the going up the road thats the worse. I can't just leave him longer than a couple of minutes in case he goes further than the corner.I think I will totally loose control oneday. Can anybnody help.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Oh Cas what a nightmare for you.
Could a neighbour help you get him in or ring the local police & ask for their help?

goodtotalkC

May 2, 2015
loss of a dear dog.

Having had a reasonable day my husband suddenly started pacing.It has gone on for so long and made worse by the fact that he refused his dinner. In the 54 years we have been together he has never refused to eat. He keeps going out and up to the corner of the road. and then back. and then out again.I have tried to find out what is the problem but he cannot explain himself. At 8.30 in the evening I am now worried that this is going to go on all night. It started at about 4.15.We have had a very upsetting week having had to have our lovely dog Tess put to sleep.After the initial upset on Monday he seemed to have dismissed it from his mind. Today we collected her ashes but he didn't seem worried by it. We had a chap from crossroads here for 2and a half hours he has been four times now, and that seemed to be o.k. He was diognosed 6 years ago and this last few months has deteriorated really quickly. I think this is the longest his has paced and refused to do anything else. I usually manage to distract him after an hour or so. Its the going up the road thats the worse. I can't just leave him longer than a couple of minutes in case he goes further than the corner.I think I will totally loose control oneday. Can anybnody help.

Hello- so sorry you are having such a hard time- could it be related to the loss of your dog? He may have inwardly felt much more upset and this could be the result. Have you any photos you could show him and talk about the good times you had with your dog- lovely walks etc. Im sure you have already told him about the dog being without pain now and at peace

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I know this doesn't help at the moment but could he have a urine infection or be constipated, these both change my husbands behaviour,

I hope he settles soon xx

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Up till a few months ago my mum was doing this every afternoon, in and out of the house, to and from the garden gate and then sometimes beyond to the village green. It was relentless and I could hardly get her to sit down for something to eat. If she was gone for longer than 5 minutes I would go look for her and always I'd find her at the garden gate on her way back. The knock on effect to this was that her knees and ankles became swollen, but I could not distract her or get her to sit down. At the time she was taking Mirtazapine anti depressant and I put this unusual behaviour down to a less common side effect: urge to move and or increased agitation. By coincidence the Mirtazapine was no longer working for mum and she was prescribed a different one, almost immediately the intense pacing stopped. Talk to your husbands gp, it may just be that his medication needs looking at.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Crisis

Up till a few months ago my mum was doing this every afternoon, in and out of the house, to and from the garden gate and then sometimes beyond to the village green. It was relentless and I could hardly get her to sit down for something to eat. If she was gone for longer than 5 minutes I would go look for her and always I'd find her at the garden gate on her way back. The knock on effect to this was that her knees and ankles became swollen, but I could not distract her or get her to sit down. At the time she was taking Mirtazapine anti depressant and I put this unusual behaviour down to a less common side effect: urge to move and or increased agitation. By coincidence the Mirtazapine was no longer working for mum and she was prescribed a different one, almost immediately the intense pacing stopped. Talk to your husbands gp, it may just be that his medication needs looking at.

Ok thankyou. We have appointment next week to follow up a urine infection.But he had nearly finished the antibiotics when this happened. It could well have been trying to come to terms with losing our lovely dog. Also the heat this last few days. But her does have voices in his head and talks about the 'other people'.Today has been quite good, but I did take him out to town to get a few bits. Taking him out somewhere always helps. Thankyou.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elbazcat