credit cards/update

Jodie Lucas

Dec 3, 2005
Eastbourne
Hi everyone,

Just giving everyone an update and a quick question. As some of you areware my grandmother was diagnosed with dementia bout 6 months ago. Although she wasn't too bad in the beginning she has gone a bit downhill over the last couple of months, Christmas not great, didn't recognise my cousins or knew who we were going to visit.

My gran did pass a driving test bout 4 months ago, but her decline since has convinced the family that she shouldn't be driving, so shortly after the papers were sent off to renew her licence, the family got in touch with the dvla to explain their concerns. Unfortunatley the licence was renewed for a year, but shortly after my gran recieved letter bout concerns and was asked to fill in a medical form and send it back within 28 days. If they hear nothing, then her licence will be revoked.

At the weekend she was using her credit card, and had forgotten pin 3 times so it has been blocked. Gran has 3 cards i think, 2 debits and one credit card (i think). She uses the credit card but rarely spends more than £100 on it a month, all on small purchases. I was wondering if anyone had had any issues bout getting relatives to use debit cards instead of credit cards? We had to arrange a direct debit with credit card as gran kept forgetting to pay it.

Any tips?

Jodie

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Jodie,
The only way that I dealt with the problem with cards was to get money out of the Account to make sure that he had money in his wallet.
Peter did not understand money, what credit/debit cards were for nor could he remember his pin number.
If you do decide to do this it is adviseable to keep the receipt.
Best wishes
Christine

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Jodie - I must be feeling particularly dense as I don't think I quite understand your question. If you mean getting them to switch over to using a debit rather than a credit card (so that the money comes directly from their bank account rather than having to pay a variable amount each month) I can see why you would want to but I'm not sure that it's such a great idea since that could mean that if someone unscrupulous got hold of the card and the pin the account could be cleared out and my understanding is that banks are less, shall we say, protective of their customers than credit card companies.

Incidentally, do you know that if she is finding the pin too much to remember it is possible to get a chip and signature card?

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
it is possible to get a chip and signature card?

I would say do . and get ride of credit card if someone gets hold of that they have a filed day , as my mother lost her card then had fraud done with her debit card , they must of some how clone the card got the pin , because money was withdraw from Cash Machine from all over London .

Bank did gave all money back that was taken out , after they did they investigation , but never told me what happen. how it was done .

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
Hi Jodie

My wife has a chip and signature card and it works very well for her but she does not have AD (just forgets numbers). There is still the security problem that anyone can borrow the card, learn the signature from the back of the card, and use it.

When mum got to the AD stage where she could not remember we decided it was not practical to leave her with access to a bank account or credit card. We had a very nasty wake-up experience when a man from a Utility Company walked into her house, filled in a direct debit form using information from her chequebook, and swapped her to a different company.

Fortunately mum quickly accepted just having a purse with a few pounds in it. We removed her card, chequebook and bank statement from her house.

I can understand this is something that has to be handled carefully. Possible the cards are not replaced as the PIN numbers are forgotten?

All the best

Clive