1. mojofilter

mojofilter Registered User

May 10, 2006
    St.Helens
    Hello again ...

Ok, my mum's not used her credit card for about 2 years but we've just been paying off the balance out of her pension .... What happens when she finally goes into a residential home?

What she'd be left with after the care home have taken their fees would cover her cards monthly payments but it would leave her with almost nothing left ....

Thank in advance fore your time,

mojo

2. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Hi Mojo,

If your mum were in a residential care home, she wouldn`t need much in the way of cash as all her needs would be met.

Or have I misunderstood.................:confused:

3. noelphobic

noelphobic Registered User

Feb 24, 2006
    Liverpool
    Will your mum be local authority funded when she goes into a home? If she was going to be self funding then I would have said that the best thing to do would be to make a lump sum payment to clear the credit card bill entirely. However, it doesn't sound as though that is an option. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what else to advise. Hopefully someone else will have some better ideas.

Brenda

4. Tender Face

Tender Face Account Closed

Mar 14, 2006
    NW England
    Hi Mojo ...

You'll already know 'the quicker the better' when it comes to paying off credit card balances .... interest on interest and all that ...

However, if that means leaving your mum without ANY disposable income you might try to reach an agreement wth the card company .... bearing in mind whilst they should be sympatheric to your mum their main interest is that the debt will be settled somehow ... Don't want to build your hopes too much but I have heard of cases in the past where interest has been waived ..... so just the outstanding capital owed has to be repaid .....

Sure you will have already checked, but there's no hint of any payment protection cover having been taken out either with the card or under any other policy?

Love, Karen, x