Creating a Blog from Previous Posts

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
I really wish I had started a blog when I first joined TP as a record of this dreadful dementia and the way it has affected us. One of the things that TP has shown me is that we are not so isolated as we first thought, and I feel a blog might help someone else.

Is it possible to back track and turn previous posts into a blog? Would the posts appear in the right order?

Thanks

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
You can copy and paste any posts onto your own Blog Christin. It`s what I have started to do with Life in the day....

However good the supportive posts are, having your own posts in a Blog saves you wading through lots of comments.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
although it's not automatic, you can go to each post you want to "blog" and press the icon on the bottom right of each post that looks like a person with a speech bubble - that puts the post into your blog.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
What a mystery modern technology is! I feel like I'm wading through cotton wool or more aptly an almost extinct species hanging on by my toenails to modern technology.

xxTinaT

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
have you always been able to 'blog' on TP? I could be wrong but I don't remember the faciity being there when I first joined. I wish I had also blogged my journey. However, if I blog all my available posts now then I assume that even Tearoom posts would be publically viewable - am i correct?

I have just tried to blog my most recent post and it tells me it is too short. It seems to work as though i am quoting myself and I would presumably need to add at least 10 characters - or is there a way around this?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
You can make your Blog private Brenda so it will only be visible to contacts and friends.

I`m not sure about the too short bit. If it isn`t too short to post, it shouldn`t be too short to Blog. :confused:

Blogging is a facility with the new server.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
You can make your Blog private Brenda so it will only be visible to contacts and friends.

I`m not sure about the too short bit. If it isn`t too short to post, it shouldn`t be too short to Blog. :confused:

Blogging is a facility with the new server.

i think it might be that the post shows as a quote, so removing the quote 'markers' might solve it.

I'll have a go after my nap - being off work has gotten me into bad habits :D

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I think you're right but that seems a trifle stupid that it works that way. I wonder if there's a setting that can be changed?

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
I think the default is that the software is set up for members to copy any other members posts into their personal blogs where they might then choose to comment on them or add some additional details.

For example, if someone had a blog talking about issues relating to food/eating and dementia, they might want to add a really interesting post by another member to their blog and then explain why they thought that post was so useful.

Brenda is right, to turn the post into a blog post without any further characters or comments, the QUOTE code in the square brackets [ ] at the beginning and end of the text have to be edited out.

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Irritating. Personally I'd type something like Copied from thread, and then copy and paste that on to the end of each entry as I blogged it. Much faster than fiddling with editing those tags.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Well I eat tags for lunch and dinner, so am not best placed to comment.

But I suppose the benefit of using the Blog this Post feature is that it will copy any of the special formatting that might have been used in the post.

Also any links would also be preserved :) (emoticons too, probably).

If it's just plain text, then cut and paste will work fine.

I think there will be problems with any attachments/images which would probably have to be added to the blog post by hand.

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
:D thanks for all these comments. I have made a start, and it is quite easy with the little balloon. You do have to delete the
but you also have the option to edit and make the posts more suitable for a blog. I have also added the dates into the heading to try to give some perspective to the posts. It is also very interesting for me to read back, I had no idea that I had raised some points over a year ago!

Last edited: