CRB - name change

hollycat

Nov 20, 2011
Whilst reading a few recent posts, I had reason to search for info regarding CRB, to find out that they are now DBS !

Was not sure which section to post in, so mods please move as appropriate (thanks)

Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) is now

Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)

More details at the link below:

https://www.gov.uk/crb-criminal-records-bureau-check/arranging-checks-as-an-employer

Just when you get used to the terminology...........! ? !

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
I would like to add to this thread without, I hope, hijacking it, to say that i have just had to provide a police check from Switzerland for my employers for whom I have worked since 1998 with a break of one year. I lived and worked in Switzerland for one year in 1977.

My colleague is having to supply a check from the USA which means her being fingerprinted at our local police station and paying, from her own pocket, at least £50. She is 70 years old and lived there 50 years ago for 4 years, and she visits chicago every year.

And it goes on and on.

I wonder why after 15 years I am no longer considered safe. But I have done it.

angelface

Oct 8, 2011
london
The place where I volunteer has always needed a CRB , fair enough.

Now the check has a new name, it seems I have to have the check done again.:(

Anyone else heard of this?

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
I am just about to have one done as I volunteer but they have been told to use up the CRB forms the organisation has before they use the DBS ones.:confused: I can see me having to fill in a new load of forms shortly.

Contrary Mary

Jun 11, 2010
Greater London
I had a nice surprise to be told that because the carers organisation has recently done a CRB check that I do not need to have a second check done now that I am volunteering elsewhere (not relating to caring, but contact with children)

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Two points to quickly add to this.

Volunteers do not have to pay for either the old CRB or the new DBS check - at most they might be asked to contribute to a local admin fee of well under £10

The new checks will soon be able to be portable - unsure of date but don't think started yet and too tired to go back into my files to check...

Will happily post more info at another time if it would be helpful.

Celia

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tinydaffodil