Crazy Care Home situation

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
In the end tough decisions have to be made around coronavirus and visiting in care homes . I don't see this being a problem in my day to day hospital life -far from it where there are equally the same problems of delivering care. I think more faith needs to put into infection control measures as penultimately that is the only thing which has been effective i.e. PPE, hand washing etc. The biggest help in all of this is the suggested key worker status for families which is entirely workable and yet here we are time running out for many of those in care homes and our government dragging its feet.

The Court of Protection ruled that visiting in care homes was lawful in October, its worth reading the summation -so why are we still having this debate?

And I am off to wear PPE all the day long .....work on a Saturday

Finally the AS response to this current mess:

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Perhaps the answer will be testing that gives an answer in 15 minutes, which is being trialed now I believe. That really would make hugs an acceptable risk if the tests are sufficiently reliable.

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
Reliable testing with answers in 15 minutes would be perfect to open up safe indoor visits for family and friends of residents. After all they have endured since March we ought to be a priority for this.

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
Apparently, according to a letter seen by BBC, the universities minister has sent chancellors a letter saying mass testing of students ( week 30th November to December 6th) so they can get home for Christmas, with the aim to stop infection spreading.
I understand this, but what about fast tests so family can visit care homes, indoors, no screens and residents can have a hug?

Chaplin

May 24, 2015
Bristol
Apparently, according to a letter seen by BBC, the universities minister has sent chancellors a letter saying mass testing of students ( week 30th November to December 6th) so they can get home for Christmas, with the aim to stop infection spreading.
I understand this, but what about fast tests so family can visit care homes, indoors, no screens and residents can have a hug?
Sadly care home residents have continually been placed at the back of the queue throughout this pandemic. I dare say they will be behind a long list when it comes to the vaccine too!

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
I believe care home residents and staff will be at the top of the list for the vaccine ( depending on safety/suitability of the vaccine for the elderly), but although good news, this is still a way off, so in the meantime let's have tests for family so we are able to visit indoors if test result negative.