Crayons

ronyork

Apr 28, 2015
Hunts
Bought Audrey an adult colouring book as now she will not read or knit.After 15 mins she has had enough (I find it quite relaxing) i have tried dominoes/cards any suggestions for the coming winter.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
When I was a child my favourite toy was my grandmothers button box. It was the old style black and gold cash box with sections and I used to sort endlessly by colour, size, shape etc. If you get her a cash box and either fill it with assorted buttons or coins I bet it would keep her busy.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
When I was a child my favourite toy was my grandmothers button box. It was the old style black and gold cash box with sections and I used to sort endlessly by colour, size, shape etc. If you get her a cash box and either fill it with assorted buttons or coins I bet it would keep her busy.

I like that idea, marionq.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Maybe one of those plastic boxes with divisions, usually for storing screws etc would be good for sorting things too? I'm going to look into this for my husband.

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
I find it quite hard to find activities which are manageable bug also interesting so thank you for all the ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Tiller Girl

May 14, 2012
My OH went thru a phase of doing Perler beads.

It's very fiddly but he loved it! You can get some ideas on Pinterest.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I bought mater book and crayons/pencils, my sister got felt pens, the books were po hoo'd and left in a heap.

Same here, but last year I did find poster paints, lining paper cut in large sizes and easel worked for a while. At moment I am collecting small unvarnished wooden boxes, like the old cigar ones. Going to see if mum would like to paint or collage them and then varnish.

DMac

Jul 18, 2015
Surrey, UK
Christmas card making

My MIL used to make the most beautiful cards pre-dementia. She still shows an interest and shuffles through her vast collection of card making stuff from time to time. She clearly still wants to make some Christmas cards, but really has lost her skills now, and seems at a loss where to start. So I thought I'd try something to do with card making with her.

A couple of days ago, I went to a well-known craft making shop and bought some more 'kit' for her, but a lot less sophisticated compared to what she used to buy. For example, I bought some ready-made die-cut shapes that are easy to stick straight on to the card. Anyway, we spent a pleasant afternoon together opening packets, examining the contents, and trying out different combinations of shapes, stick-on buttons, sentiments, backing paper and what have you. At the end of the day, we made about a dozen cards between us. Well, I say 'we' but really it was MIL 'advising' about colour and shapes etc. and me actually making the cards! ;) It doesn't really matter who did what, the main thing is she really seemed to enjoy the process. She has even offered to help me make my own cards when I'm ready! :D

usedup

Aug 5, 2014
West Berkshire
Names needed

My MIL used to make the most beautiful cards pre-dementia. She still shows an interest and shuffles through her vast collection of card making stuff from time to time. She clearly still wants to make some Christmas cards, but really has lost her skills now, and seems at a loss where to start. So I thought I'd try something to do with card making with her.

A couple of days ago, I went to a well-known craft making shop and bought some more 'kit' for her, but a lot less sophisticated compared to what she used to buy. For example, I bought some ready-made die-cut shapes that are easy to stick straight on to the card. Anyway, we spent a pleasant afternoon together opening packets, examining the contents, and trying out different combinations of shapes, stick-on buttons, sentiments, backing paper and what have you. At the end of the day, we made about a dozen cards between us. Well, I say 'we' but really it was MIL 'advising' about colour and shapes etc. and me actually making the cards! ;) It doesn't really matter who did what, the main thing is she really seemed to enjoy the process. She has even offered to help me make my own cards when I'm ready! :D

Can you give me a name for the things you bought? If I go to a craft shop or search the internet, what am I looking for? I try a range of activities to create interest. Some work and some don't. You could give me another possibility

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
I sometimes go to Hobbycraft for ideas and I buy activity items for mum's care home. They have large soft foam shapes such as butterflies and I buy sparkly stickers. I also got some packs which comprise a book of pictures of rooms with stickers of furniture, and also dolls with clothes to stick on, I think they are reusable.

If you look for scrap-booking supplies I'm sure you would find some of the things that Dmac is using too.

Last edited:

DMac

Jul 18, 2015
Surrey, UK
Can you give me a name for the things you bought? If I go to a craft shop or search the internet, what am I looking for? I try a range of activities to create interest. Some work and some don't. You could give me another possibility

Usedup, I have sent you a PM.

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015

There are craft suppliers for schools to I think called yellow moon who have good craft ideas and of course Early learning shops if you have one nearby. The Works are very reasonable too. You could also make a scrap book of family photos to look at once it's finished of course.

How about making little peg dolls, easy to do, and you can do the fiddly bits for her no doubt. Even stringing buttons onto a shoe lace?