CQC Reports

Xeenies

May 19, 2014
Interested to hear peoples views on poor CQC reports. I do keep an open mind but social services are suggesting a placement for my Dad that failed 2/5 areas last year and in 2015 failed all areas, was put in special measures and was in the news!!

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Interested to hear peoples views on poor CQC reports. I do keep an open mind but social services are suggesting a placement for my Dad that failed 2/5 areas last year and in 2015 failed all areas, was put in special measures and was in the news!!

My wife has recently gone into a nursing home, organised by our LA as her savings are just below the upper threshold. This all happened quite quickly, and I was sent a shortlist of NH's with vacancies. It was a very short list as there are only 3 NH's in our area, only 2 taking LA clients. The rest of those on the list were all at least 25 miles away!

In the end, only 1 local NH had a suitable vacancy, so I checked their CQC report (May 2018) which was needing improvement in all categories.:eek: However, I visited the home and had a long chat with the manager, who explained that she had returned last year, after a long absence working for another company. They have just had another assessment and whilst still needing improvement, it is now only in 2 categories.

Although the building is old and tired, I got a good feeling about the team there and as a back-up, got a second opinion from my son's partner. She runs a care facility locally, for young adults with special needs and she too, was impressed with how the manager has improved things in just over a year.

It is also worth noting that homes judged as needing improvement are usually inspected more frequently. Those with Good ratings can often be left for several years, unless the CQC receive any concerns flagged to them, so I tend to look to see how long it's been since the last inspection.

You've nothing to loose by going to look for yourself. Good luck.

Phil

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I was in my husband’s nursing home when an inspection was being done and I was asked for my 9pinion if the home. My opinion was it was excellent, doing the very best they could for the residents.

They had criticised the fact that some of the men were lying on their beds mid afternoon. My husband was not one of them but I’m sure if he wanted to I would have had no problem with it. It’s a nursing home, their home and why not have half an hours nap after a substantial two course roast lunch, surely they would have done the same if they were in their own home.

They also criticised the meal time, all the men were not sitting at the dining tables. My husband could not, I had to feed him too. Two men were in the lounge having their meals on a table but in front of their chairs. They were interacting with Carers and talking to me. One man who never came into the lounge but liked to watch what went on had his armchair put in the corridor every morning facing the opening to the lounge. He never missed anything, always had a smile on his face, just didn’t want to join in. He too never ate his meal at the dining table. The men were given a choice, it was their home and as such should be allowed to please themselves as long as it did now affect any other resident.

I gave them my thoughts, not sure they understand my thoughts but I was happy my husband was in such a caring nursing home that realised the word home was as important as the word nursing. Their criticisms appeared on the CQC report. Had I not known the home I might have thought they were not bothering with the men but they were, the knew the men and what pleased them and so gave them a choice.

I think if you go several times, different times of the day, you will get a feeling about the home and how it runs. If the staff really care it will show.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Mums nursing home has just been assessed and they too had 2/5 needing improvement, that had improved from last year which was 3/5 needing improvement. From what we have seen the care has been brilliant and we certainly have no worries about Mum's care and treatment.

Have a look round, speak to other visitors if you can and get their views and watch carers interaction with residents that may give you a better picture

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
CQC reports are just one part of the picture and (by their nature) can only reflect the situation at one point in time. In some ways a home that is actively taking steps to improve (and is still being monitored) may be as good or better than one that is resting on the laurels of a good, but possibly dated CQC report. There is some good advice above. Try to assess for yourself by talking to the staff, seeing how they interact with residents, with each other and with managers. Is there a positive team spirit that places care of the residents at the centre of everything? Try to gauge the overall atmosphere and don't worry if some boxes are left unticked.

Splashing About

Oct 20, 2019
My sisters home is Requiring Improvement. I hint it’s a fantastic home, very caring staff and focused involved management.

CQC is important however it measures documentation. Documentation is important as a measure of the CHs knowledge of good care but doesn’t always reflect the care that is directly delivered

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
I am a library volunteer and for several years have dropped off books at a local care home for a resident, we have a ten minute chat and then I leave.
A few months ago, I was cornered by a CQC inspector and was asked many questions about the home. I explained I was merely an infrequent visitor with no knowledge of the staff or how the home operated, but the inspector said that didn't matter and 'embroidered' my replies.

As it happens, the home doesn't smell of wee, the residents play bingo on the day I visit and 'my book lady' seems happy, but what do I know?

I wouldn't read too much into official reports, after all, some of it could have been based on the opinions of people like me, an occasional visitor; oh and maybe the supermarket delivery 'shop & drop' driver, who arrives at the same time as I do, perhaps he was asked as well!

Take into account the CQC findings by all means, but more importantly, common sense and trust your own judgement.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I agree, go and have a look, meet the manager, and see what you think. There is no substitute for that, and you may get an impression at odds with the report.

I've just been reading the new CQC report for my mother's care home. Three years ago it was 5/5 good, this year it is 4/5 with 1 requiring improvement. On reading through, the 'requires improvement' comments were nothing which would concern me at all, it seemed like box ticking which wouldn't really impact on the residents' experience.

While CQC do rely on documentation they also observe resident and carer interaction throughout the day, and talk to the carers and visitors, all of which was very positive as I expected it to be.

bopper

Apr 6, 2019
My Mum has recently gone in to a care home. The care home is very new and has just been classified as 'requires improvement' by the CQC. However, when I looked at the report in detail, the focus of the report seemed to be on paperwork and documentation. I appreciate that these areas are necessary, but I decided that what was more important was the standard of care that Mum received. From my visits to the care home and from speaking to staff, other residents and their families, it was clear that the care was excellent. Mum has been in the care home for 10 weeks now and I'm so glad that I went with my gut reaction and did not rely solely on the CQC report. She seems very content and has clearly settled in well. So my advice would be, by all means take the CQC report in to consideration, but examine it in detail and use it as only one of the sources of information to help you decide.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Go and have a look, if anything from the latest report jumps out at you as a concern about the care ask about it when you visit, see how they react or explain.

If they have improved on 3/5 then it seems they are heading in the right direction, if it had been the other way round and inadequate in all areas having been ok in 3/5 then more concerning maybe.