CPN Visits

jks

Jul 2, 2005
West Yorkshire
Hello Everyone

Can I ask, please, how often a CPN would usually visit?

My Dad has always had monthly visits, but he (the CPN) told Dad yesterday that due to 'new procedures' , his workload was prioritised differently and he couldn't say when he would next be coming, but it would not be as frequent as before.

This has quite unsettled Dad and Mum, and I, too, feel that one of the safety nets has been pulled away from underneath us all.

Best Wishes,

jks

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
HI JKS
I don't think there is any laid down time for CPN s to visit,I think again it is a post code thing.
I often meet our CPN at other meetings and she is charming and helpful.
She only visits at home very infrequently.
She the only CPN dealing with Dementia in a very large area and as a consequence she cannot visit more often.
I am sure if we neded her she would be there for us.
Norman

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Mum had monthly visits for years, though dad was never sure what they were for. I too viewed them as another safety net; someone else keeping an eye on dad's welfare and state of mind as much as my mum's.

Amy

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
I am sure there is no hard-and-fast rule about this one.
To begin with, we had occasional visits, then the CPN came about every six weeks. Once we needed more help she made monthly appointments, and since my husband's rapid decline last Summer, we see her for about an hour every couple of weeks. The frequency has been decided by the CPN all along, and I feel that she comes as much for my benefit as my husbands, and she is incredibly helpful and supportive in our battles with Social Services and anything else we need.
I realise that we are very lucky!

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Being new in here I just googled CPN and found Community Psychiatric Nurse which is something I think my mother needs, but as far as her doctors are concerned there is nothing wrong with her mind, so I don't suppose she'll get one.

She loves nurses' visits but I don't know how she'd react to the "P" word.

I did ask my mother if she stayed in bed so long in order to get bed sores to get nurses to visit. She denied it of course.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Lionel's CPN has visited once a month for the last 18 months.
Since Christmas, when things started to go wrong, she has visited every week, sometimes twice. She saw Lionel when he went into assessment, and visited him again in the last home.

Now she comes to see "me". The Mental Health team, of which she is a part, feel that I need her help too. I am grateful, as I can unload some of my worries about my own failings and shortcomings.

I have always regarded her visits as a safety net, and I know her reports always went back direct to Lionel's consultant. I realise now just how lucky we have been.

Connie

angela.robinson

Dec 27, 2004
CPN VISITS, i never had them on regular basis ,the consultant (manchester area)visited every 6 months then in the last year every 3 months ,we only had the cpn visit when i rung the consultants office ,screaming and shouting , that was in the last year ,i was told i could not have one regular,i when they did come they spent the time trying to persuade me to look for a nursing home ,i dont know how it works in other places ,though a friend of mine in the same area does not see a consultant regular but does have a CPN every month ,and her mother is only in the early stages !!!!!!ANGELA

Dave W

Jul 3, 2005
Bucks
Is there a local team?

My Mum's CPN(s) were part of the local Commuity Health Team, which presumably has a manger. It might be worth dinding out what the structure is locally, and talking to someone further up its food chain, so to speak?

Good luck!