CPN Visit

janjan

Jan 27, 2006
Birmingham
Mom is having the cpn coming to see her on Wednesday,about some help with my dad. When i rang her asking her to come to see mom because she was now finding it difficut to cope, she asked me if i could be present when she comes to visit mom, as last time she came round to see her,[ 8 months ago ] she got the feeling from mom that she was copeing fine. I said i would be there. I wanted to know if mom would be able to have someone to come round to either bath or shower dad at least once a week. She said they don't do hands on. Can't they do this unless they are in a residential or nursing home? I thought i would wait till Wednesday, but its on my mind, as anyone got any idea's what she means about this? :confused: Janet :confused:

susieb

Apr 16, 2006
Think the bath / shower is done by care staff - probably social services. The CPN will help you to access the services you need and provide support / expertise etc. The hands on care is not done by qualified CPN, as far as I know - I think its a pity myself because to deal with someone with AD, you need to know them very well, or have a lot of knowledge about the condition.

Good luck

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
The CPN should be able to point you in the right direction.

I now have to have a care in every day to help Lionel with his daily toiletting needs. Unfortunately we ahve to pay for all our care, but we need it so.......

Hope you get things sorted out,

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Janjan
the first thing that you need is a community care assessment,CPN should be able to point you in the right direction to Social services.
You may then get help with funding for bathing etc from SS in house staff or from an agency.
Do You have Crossroads in your part of Birmingham?
The following fact sheet will help.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/After_diagnosis/Getting_support/info_communityassessment.htm
Let us know how you get on
Norman

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Like Coonie & norman Said
The CPN should be able to point you in the right direction

CPN done a care plan for mum then Social services from the elderly section came around done another care plan

like norman said
You may then get help with funding for bathing etc from SS in house staff or from an agency

Then Disabilites Adaptation woman came around & did a care plan as in what mum need in the house to make it more easyer for her to get around IE puting in a shower

janjan

Jan 27, 2006
Birmingham
Thanks for all your helpful infomation everyone. :) I'm armed with a list ready for tomorrow, the only thing i'm realy worried about is if she sends dad for an assesment obout his tablets he takes for AD. I'ts been over three years since he was last assest for them. If they take him off aricept, i know he will go down fast. Thanks again. It's great to know tp is here for me in times of need, and we do get some laughs to keep us going. ;) Janet ;) Norman. Crossroads was in the 70's, Birmingham as ghanged alot since then.[ you want to see the Bull Ring in the town centre] There's everything for the youth of today. Wish it would have been like it in the 70's when i was in my teen's.:D

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Crossroads

janjan said:
, and we do get some laughs to keep us going. ;) Janet ;) Norman. Crossroads was in the 70's, Birmingham as ghanged alot since then.[ you want to see the Bull Ring in the town centre] There's everything for the youth of today. Wish it would have been like it in the 70's when i was in my teen's.:D

I don't think that was the Crossroads that Norman had in mind :D

I think this is it

http://www.crossroads.org.uk/

janjan

Jan 27, 2006
Birmingham
:eek: Sorry Norman misunderstood your post. As it happens CPN phoned in sick, have to wait for another appointment now. Not having a very good day today either. :mad: Janet :mad:

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
janjan said:
:eek: Sorry Norman misunderstood your post. As it happens CPN phoned in sick, have to wait for another appointment now. Not having a very good day today either. :mad: Janet :mad:

I hope you don't have to wait too long and that you have a better day tomorrow. :)

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
janjan

Can you not phone Social services from the elderly section ,?by pass the CPN ,can’t believe how no one done a care plan for your mother ?

In London fulham I phone my local town hall & they put me though to the elderly section & I talk to a Socail worker .

If I had know this I would not have waited for the CPN ,thinking about it now .

Just say you need to talk to a social worker for the elderly to get some advice & stress how your mum need help & how do you go about it . It Just sound so unfair

janjan

Jan 27, 2006
Birmingham
She's coming tomorrow morning now, at least we hav'nt had to wait to long. I don't work Fridays, so i hav'nt had to swop my shifts around again. Will let you know what happens. :D Janet :D

janjan

Jan 27, 2006
Birmingham
Margarita

Well what a surprise, I thought she was the cpn. She was dad's new social worker.... We are at square 1 again. When i rang her a few weeks ago, i thought the number mom gave me was her cpn nurse because i had'nt spoke to dad's social worker since i rang her to ask her if she could go to see mom about help for dad .That was 8 months ago. Apparently dads social worker went to see mom then, said she would send someone round to look at moms bathroom, to see what they needed to help bathing or showering dad. They never came, it must have got lost in the system. So now we have to wait for them to come again. Anyway she is coming to see us in two weeks time to do a full assesment. With in the last 8 months alot has changed, and she wanted to know why dad has'nt been reassesed for his tablets in the last three and a half years.She is dad's new social worker thats why i didn't reconise her voice on the phone. Anyway she sorted out mom's next respite while she was there, and we made a point that we wanted to keep dad at home as long as we can, but mom was finding that she now needs extra help to be able to do this. Sorry this has been a bit drawn out, but you can imagine how fed up i feel. :mad: Janet :mad:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
We are at square 1 again

I wanted to know if mom would be able to have someone to come round to either bath or shower dad at least once a week

But is ant it better as now social worker can sort out what you wanted ? did you ask her about that?

Anyway she sorted out mom's next respite while she was there

Thats good new , when did you book it for ?as hopefully when your dad gets back home , the SW should have a carer in place in your mum house to help her ,

My mum comeing home on the 15 may & the SW put it in writeing & sent it to me that she has sorted out a carer to help me in the Morning & AZ day center 2 times a week .

when SW come agina ask her for a cope of the care plan from the full assesment she does for your dad

I know your feeling angry now & I know how you feel, but now you got the ball rolling again :) a tip that may help is when they come around for bathroom make sure you take there name & number & keep ringing them up every mouth for updates , & they put it all in writing what they are going to do & send it to you .

It took nearly a year for mum to get a shower & take the bath out & a lot of ringing from me .

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
ps

Make sure that you ask for a carer to come in every day to help your mum shower or bath your dad ,that’s what they are doing for me

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Margarita: you got there just before me ;)

Janet: I agree with Margarita's suggestion to make notes of dates & names for who said things would be done, and the dates by which they should be done, and make sure the social worker/CPN or whoever knows that you are keeping a record. I hope you never have to use it, but it seems to focus people's minds if they know there is a written record of what's been said and promised.

Best wishes

angela w

janjan said:
Mom is having the cpn coming to see her on Wednesday,about some help with my dad. When i rang her asking her to come to see mom because she was now finding it difficut to cope, she asked me if i could be present when she comes to visit mom, as last time she came round to see her,[ 8 months ago ] she got the feeling from mom that she was copeing fine. I said i would be there. I wanted to know if mom would be able to have someone to come round to either bath or shower dad at least once a week. She said they don't do hands on. Can't they do this unless they are in a residential or nursing home? I thought i would wait till Wednesday, but its on my mind, as anyone got any idea's what she means about this? :confused: Janet :confused:
Hi sorry hope im not interupting. Ive been reading the messages on here, its my 1st visit and it upset me, my mum has been diagnosed about 3 months ago. I feel ive lost my best friend
Angela w

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Hi angela

welcome no your not interupting
my mum has been diagnosed about 3 months ago. I feel ive lost my best friend

No how you feel, it’s a shock hard to take in, how old is you mum? I read in your profile you’re a 3 year student what are you studying? Do you live with your mum? Gosh hope you don’t mind me asking :)

janjan

Jan 27, 2006
Birmingham
Angela

Welcome to tp. You will get lots of helpful infomation from everyone here. I didn't find it up untill 6 months ago and wish i found earlier. It made me fell so sad that i remember feeling that you have lost your best friend. Its been a long time since dad was diagnosed with AD, and although he is very ill now theres still that sparkle in his eyes. He's still got the wonderfull sense of humour that we both used to laugh at the same things but i know through all this he's always been my best friend, and so will you with your mom. My heart goes out to you, and i would like to send you a big hug. This has been for me difficult to write through the tears for how you are feeling at this time. Keep posting let us know how things are going. :) janet :)