Cpn meeting

Kobiandmillie

Jan 4, 2014
Hi there my mum has vascular dementia 65 yrs old and lives in her own home she was referred for a cpn assessment by the memory clinic and I don't know what to expect can anyone advise pls x

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Hi there my mum has vascular dementia 65 yrs old and lives in her own home she was referred for a cpn assessment by the memory clinic and I don't know what to expect can anyone advise pls x

Hi - not sure from your post, but just in case it hasn't been made clear to you, CPN stands for Community Psychiatric Nurse. I honestly don't know if what we experience with our CPN is standard - I suspect not from some of the posts I read, sadly - but in our case, our CPN is a Godsend.

She is the person I go to first with any concerns or queries. She liases with both Mils Social Worker, GP and the consultant, often cutting out unecessary waiting time if something needs to be dealt with - if I'm worried about meds, she can nip and see the consultant (based in the same building as the CPN), and get back to me quickly with info. She oversee's all of Mils care, from keeping regular checks on how Mils medications are affecting her and checking up on the development of potential side effects, to how Mil is doing in day care. I think that we are incredibly lucky that she is crammed full of common sense, and also appreciates that the whole family need to be considered and takes into account the impact of Mils illness on us all, and often makes suggestions to make things easier. She is straight talking, and has never yet failed to contact me or show up when its been arranged that she do either of those things.

I have fingers and toes crossed that the outcome of your Mums meeting is that she and you are able to access the sort of support that we have been lucky enough to have, from our CPN x

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
In the early days of John's diagnosis I saw little of the CPN because he was not on drugs. As his condition has deteriorated I see more of her and find the contact very reassuring and helpful.. I hope your experience will be the same.

MERENAME

Jun 4, 2013
scotland
We have had 2 excellent and really helpful cpn''s. Probably all they will do is a mmse and chat to you.

The mmse is a test of cognitive abilities. if you google it you can find examples online. The max score is 30, 24-20 mild dementia, 19-13 moderate, less than that severe dementia. It is not perfect and only gives a rough idea of where someone is at and how they are progressing. An average decline is 2 points a year but that is average, my dad declined faster and my mum has taken 10 years to lose 4 points. Also good days bad days and lucky guesses play their part.

The cpn's are very useful if you have got questions,

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951