Covid vaccination

Jan L

Mar 26, 2020
I`ve just received my appointment. Friday 29th January I`m relieved and thankful.
I have received a text this morning to book my Husband's appointment for the vaccination, booked for Saturday morning. He is 77 and two years older than me, I haven't heard anything as yet so it will mean me having to attend twice and we will both have to go both times as he can't be left on his own. I have tried many times this morning to ring the Doctors to see if we could both have it done at the same time, but can't get through. Never mind better take what is on offer and worry about mine when the time comes. You would think me being my Husband's sole Carer 24/7 would count for something and we are both in the Group 3, over 75 so wouldn't be putting anyone else out of the queue, because if I became ill he would have to go into a care home.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I think it`s common sense to vaccinate carers with the people they are caring for at the same time but thinking of the logistics, it might prove more problematic than we understand .

The NHS are up to their eyes in vaccinations and record keeping. They are also very tired and under tremendous pressure. I don`t think we can make educated criticisms unless we are on the front line.

Jan L

Mar 26, 2020
I think it`s common sense to vaccinate carers with the people they are caring for at the same time but thinking of the logistics, it might prove more problematic than we understand .

The NHS are up to their eyes in vaccinations and record keeping. They are also very tired and under tremendous pressure. I don`t think we can make educated criticisms unless we are on the front line.
Yes I agree, I have every sympathy with them, I am not being critical of anyone, they are all doing their best and going the extra mile to get this done. It's just a shame we will both have to attend twice, within probably a few days of one another, when they are telling you to stay at home but the IT system is obviously set up to only deal with one person at a time being the quickest and easiest to do.

My Sister received a phone call last week asking her to make an appointment so she asked about her Husband and they made an appointment for him at the same time. We attend the same Doctors but they are both in the High Risk category.

I wish I was free to volunteer my services, I spent over 30 years in Sales/ Customer Services making and receiving phone calls and inputting into Computer systems, so would enjoy doing my bit to help the cause.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
@Jan L - you might find they vaccinate you as well when you go for your husband's jab. Can you email your doctor's to advise them you will be attending?

Jan L

Mar 26, 2020
@Jan L - you might find they vaccinate you as well when you go for your husband's jab. Can you email your doctor's to advise them you will be attending?
@nita there are no facilities to contact the surgery by email on their website or through Patient Access and there recorded message on the phone tells you not to speak to them about the Covid-19 vaccine but wait to be contacted. Fair enough I think they are short staffed through illness and staff in isolation, if there is an opportunity for me to mention it on Saturday I will, but I am not going to put more pressure on them unnecessarily. Depends if I know who is doing the vaccinating, if it is one of the Dr's we know they may say something.

Jan L

Mar 26, 2020
its even worse if you are 19 yrs older than your husband so hes cat 4 and im cat 6 so he is waiting for the letter
@jennifer 1967 it is difficult isn't, we all have different circumstances to deal with. If you are a full time carer and receive Carers allowance, you get priority, because the person you are caring for would have no one to look after them if you were ill, but that is the same for Carers who are retired and not entitled to Carers Allowance. If you qualify for Carers Allowance you would be of working age so younger than full time carers in their 70's and 80's.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Well, my mum refused to have the jab last week, the only resident to do so! Hopefully her GP is going to have another try when she is in a better mood. I was very upset and embarrassed when the care home told me.

Ironically some medical person was on our local radio this morning saying that every care home resident in our area has received their vaccination - not quite true!

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
If you accompany your PWD and hope to get the vaccination too remember to take your NHS number with you as they seem to be working on that. If you know that it might help to get you done too.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
Had the Astra-Zeneca jab this morning. I was told to sit in my car for 15 minutes before driving home. I was asked if I was a carer.

Jan L

Mar 26, 2020
If you accompany your PWD and hope to get the vaccination too remember to take your NHS number with you as they seem to be working on that. If you know that it might help to get you done too.
Yes I thought I would go prepared just in case.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Mum refused to have the vaccine again yesterday, the doctor made a special visit just to see her and she told him he can get lost if he thinks he is going to stick that thing in her arm! I think that might be the end of the attempts for now.

hooperswan

Dec 22, 2016
Same here. My mother is 82 and classed as housebound and I was told by her medical centre that her vaccination would happen automatically and was being organised centrally, whatever that means. Nothing to do with them apparently. I'm rather sceptical about anything happening as she has fallen through the net so many times in the past. I'm gearing up for a fight already!
Hi I'm going to give it a week and then call them again,I get the feeling it's not a huge concern for the powers that be getting older people at home done as long as they can hit other targets,our folks are hidden aren't they.Although mum's GP's practice say it's not them that's doing it,they surely have the ability to make some noise about it as it was one of their doctors that arranged it.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I received my vaccination yesterday.

I am so impressed by the way this was organised and the care and patience given to every recipient.

I expected to experience something akin to a conveyor belt procedure, there were so many of us, in at the back door and out by the front door after a 15 minute wait to monitor any unwelcome side effects.

Instead we were all treated with courtesy, one doctor kneeling on the floor to enable one tiny person to have eye contact and to hear him. Those of us who are lip readers were spoken to loudly and clearly too.

I felt quite emotional seeing people much older than I, with mobility and other physical difficulties, showing their gratitude for the vaccination and putting their trust in the medics, while the medics showed the compassion and commitment over and above their brief.

All I have now is a slightly sore arm and a bit of a sore throat.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
It would be common sense to vaccinate couples together but as others have pointed out the logistics might prove difficult. It would result in people pretending to live with a vulnerable person or even moving house temporarily in order to qualify. In my view their is too much worrying about the order of who goes first, there should be only one priority and that is to vaccinate as many as possible as soon as possible to protect everyone.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
they are doing the most vulnerable first although the clinically extremely vulnerable who are shielding at the moment have not yet be done. it makes sense to prioritize these groups because these groups are more likely to need hospital care, ventilators or die as a result of covid therefore takes pressure off of the NHS if they are done first.its about getting the best results.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
talking of husbands. my husband has his first jab on tuesday 2nd february and its local. relief but i will have to wait for mine as they will have to come to the house for mine like they did my flu jab so will be a bit longer

Kellyr

Aug 8, 2020
they are doing the most vulnerable first although the clinically extremely vulnerable who are shielding at the moment have not yet be done. it makes sense to prioritize these groups because these groups are more likely to need hospital care, ventilators or die as a result of covid therefore takes pressure off of the NHS if they are done first.its about getting the best results.
Ive got a feeling last time round they actually stopped ventilating pple as it was giving worse outcomes. Theres a number of really effective drugs available now which are having alot of success. Im not sure if theyre still advising vaccinating extremely clinically vulnerable at all..

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my husband is 72 and clinically extremely vulnerable getting the letters and he has been offered it. they have started to almost choose which patients are ventilated and it wouldnt be fair for my husband to be. the outcome wouldnt be good