Covid vaccination

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I had a phone call from mums care home today, they were asking me for consent for mum to have her jab tomorrow Tuesday! The GP for the home has now got the AstraZeneca vaccine and is doing all residents in one session. Apparently staff had theirs last week at the local hospital. My family are all delighted that mum is finally getting it.

I wonder how many others here have family members in care homes but are still waiting?

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
My mother is having her vaccination today as well. The Manager of the home emailed last week with the consent form which I filled in and sent back straight away.
I certainly didn't have to think twice about mum having it.
I do know if she had capacity and was still listening to the radio all the time mum would be arguing the toss about which vaccine was best! As it is I'm just glad it's happening.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Mum had the pfizer vaccine on Dec 30th, the GP called me to discuss on best interests. As mum was always keen to have a flu jab the decision wasn't difficult.

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
We live in a very slow Wales. As Mum doesn't live in a CH, she comes under priority 2 so we're facing a wait and a possibly a 10 mile journey to the nearest vaccination centre. Thankfully I drive.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
just got the new shielding letter and it estimates that he will get his vaccine by about middle of february.he then has to shield after that. it covers him till 21/2. half-term week for schools.

hooperswan

Dec 22, 2016
Our neighbours have had theirs but my mum who is cared for at home and is houseband,has to be visited by a van,the GP surgery can't even tell me when as they said it's being done by an outside body.She has 8 carers throughthe door each day,so I hope it's not too long.She's 82

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
We must be doing quite well round our way because a friend of ours who is over 75 has an appointment for his first jab late next week.

We do have one of the highest rates in the southeast.

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
Will be too late for my dad but I was pleased to hear that CH dad is in are getting their vaccinations this week.

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
Mum had her second dose on Sunday, apparently our surgery was part of the pilot programme. My 97yr old mother in law still waits for someone to come to the house as she lives in another part of our city. People who live 5 miles away are travelling 30 miles to the big centred....huge credit to those that get there....no complaining just going if they can and waiting if they can’t.

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
My husband is a carer in small care home, he had his vaccination yesterday, the nurses arrived first then had to wait nearly 2 hours for the vaccine, altogether the home needed 28 for staff and resident, but they were told couldn’t open another batch (10 in each), so some carer’s didn’t get vaccinated at all!

Nurse suggested they go to another care home and get done with them.....as if you can just knock on the door and say I’m a carer and they ran out for us so can you do me at your home Please ?...Just nonsense.

Its just not on that some people were missed off, most of the staff had been willing to go to hospital for the vaccine since it first became available, but information was so hard to get, and then they were told all would be done when they came to do resident.

Also prior to them doing the vaccination you had to fill in a consent form, and had to give your NHS number, so worth keeping note of that incase asked.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
The carers support centre have told me that carers under 65 now qualify in priority level 6. That is an unofficial interpretation and at the discretion of the vaccination centre, but worth asking.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
@nae sporran

If you drill down the advice in
you will find a proposal to mitigate certain classes of people out of their age group into priority 6 and in an appendix you will find
'This also includes those who are in receipt of a carer’s allowance, or those who are the main carer of an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if the carer falls ill'

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I am a volunteer at our local vac hub.
The problem is, they don't always get the volume of vaccine that is required.
That said , we did 190 jabs yesterday, between 2pm and 6 pm.

After 4 the nurses could tell they had more vaccine than anticipated booked patients so accompanying carers got a shot.
Believe me, they are doing then best they can

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
we know jessbow. it was on the tv now pharmacies are coming on line with them. its so many to get through and they will all have to have a second dose at one point. at least they will have protection.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I totally agree that the various hubs, surgeries and other vaccination points are doing their best and I think we, as a country, should be proud of the programme. The logistics of getting supplies where they are needed must be a nightmare, some regions have completed all their Cat 1 patients so their vaccine supplies are quite rightly being diverted to other regions with higher numbers. It’s about trying to be fair!

I went to visit Mum in the pod today and surprisingly, she does remember having a jab yesterday but is not sure why!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I have a friend who thinks that Covid is a hoax and keeps sending me videos about the affects of the vaccines. I am sending diplomatic replies.

MaNaAk

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Personally, I would just ask them what colour flowers they would like (At their funeral) I’m fed up asrguing with disbelieving people!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I know a few people who've had it and I know a few people who work in the NHS. It was also in dad's old care home so I have felt irritated with these messages.

I hope you're son gets better soon @jennifer1967 (hugs).

MaNaAk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976