Covid vaccination fiasco today

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I am fuming at the moment but am not sure why! The care home were finally getting the vaccinations for residents today ( postponed from last week for some reason) but my Mum refused to have it! She has been diagnosed by a psychiatrist as not having capacity to make decisions but I’m not sure if the GP asked her if she wanted it or if she kicked off. I have POA and have given consent but I guess they could not physically restrain her to stick the needle in!

I’m going to phone both the care home and the GP tomorrow to see if she will get the chance to have the vaccination another time. If my sister was there, mum would do as she was told, there’s no messing about with my sister but with Covid, that won’t happen. I hope they did not try to explain what the jab was for as she thinks we are all liars when we talk about the virus, lockdown, deaths etc and she tells us off for believing what we read in the papers! She had her flu jab willingly only a few weeks ago so is not scared of needles but my brother, who had a pod visit this afternoon, said she was in a very bad mood and very narky!

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
This is extremely difficult because even if she doesn't have capacity for the decision it would be necessary to use physical restraint to force her to have it. That's not going to happen. It probably wouldn't meet the high threshold in the Mental Capacity Act for physical restraint. You may have to accept that she cannot be forced to accept it.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
This is extremely difficult because even if she doesn't have capacity for the decision it would be necessary to use physical restraint to force her to have it. That's not going to happen. It probably wouldn't meet the high threshold in the Mental Capacity Act for physical restraint. You may have to accept that she cannot be forced to accept it.
I was going to mention The mental capacity act.
Should she get a second chance there is far more the home can do to help.
They must be persuaded to allow your sister to be there.
Your mother should be fed immediately prior to the event to raise her blood sugars and the home should see if she is written up for any calming medication that can be given as a one off.
The nurse giving the jab has their pin ( professional registration) to protect. At any sign of resistance they are not going to proceed.
I know of a situation where staff where supposed to get trained to Covid test people with challenging behaviour! Shall we say uptake of the training was low. It isn’t that the staff were lazy or didn’t want to help with the drive to rid us of the virus, it is that you take on huge responsibility when you put any object into someone who may, at no notice at all start violent resistance.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
No words of wisdom but I do wonder on Friday if my Mum might be the same if she is in one of her agitated moods.
I hope that following your conversations that your Mum does get a second chance to have the vaccination. Not sure what visiting is like (if allowed) at your Mum’s home but could your sister be ‘through the other side of the window’ to encourage your Mum. Sorry if daft suggestion and it had already been considered

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I’m waiting to speak to the manager at the home to see if she will be offered another chance. There is no way that they will allow any of us to be with mum! But thanks for the suggestion about trying after she has eaten and possibly giving her some medication although that might need to be given covertly as she can refuse to take her oestrogen tablets.

Once I’ve heard from the home, I’ll speak to the GP if necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhubarb1989