COVID test

Emme

Mar 21, 2020
We have made the unhappy decision to put my mum into a care home but In ordered for her to be able to be admitted, she has to have a covid test. I have one booked for tomorrow morning.
After looking at what they have to do, how are they going to able to do it.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome to the forum @Emme you'll find lots friendly advice and support here. My mum has had 3 tests now without much of a problem, but she is compliant. Do you think that your mum is likely to resist? It's difficult to offer suggestions without knowing too much about your mum but you could maybe try some calming techniques such as playing some of her favourite music if you can. Hopefully others will be along soon with some suggestions but I hope it goes well tomorrow - keep posting to let us know how you get on.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
The test involves a swab taken from the mouth and nose. Probably not that nice but doesn't take long and I expect the people who are doing it will know how to do so without causing too much distress. My mum's care-home recently tested the residents, all of whom have dementia, without any issues (which I was pleasantly surprised about). Perhaps you could do something which you know your mum will enjoy immediately afterwards. It's a difficult time, making the decision for a care home, so keep posting for support and advice.

Emme

Mar 21, 2020
Just to let you know that mum has has her test. The nurse was lovely and very patience. Mum opened her mouth easily. The nose was a bit more difficult but in the end I said just do it quickly. Just like I used to do when my children were young. We now have to wait for the results.
Can I please ask another question?
How many clothes does she need for the carehome.? Does she take shower gel, moisturiser etc?
I have labels to sew in everything

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im glad the covid test went OK.
Pack clothes as if she were going on a fortnights holiday - you can always drop off more if/when necessary. Yes, she will need toiletries. I would also add tissues! Send a few personal items (they will need labelling too), but dont sent anything valuable or irreplaceable. If you want to sent photos (a good idea) scan them, and send the copies in a glass free frame.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Good luck with the move to the carehome @Emme. As @canary said just send in a few things at first, and nothing valuable. My mum has lost loads of stuff because she kept on wandering into other people's rooms and of course other residents weren't sure what was their stuff or not. Most of it does turn up eventually.
I guess you won't be able to visit too often at the moment, but it is probably a good idea not to visit for the first couple of weeks anyway so that she can settle in.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Glad the test went well. I hope the move goes ok. The only thing I would add is a sun hat and sunglasses if there is an outdoor area the residents can sit in. I put copies of photos (mainly old ones or funny ones) into an album, with labels underneath of who everyone is, which the care home staff are finding useful for when mum's agitated.

Emme

Mar 21, 2020
Thank you all. I will not be able to go in with her. Going to be heart breaking.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Thank you all. I will not be able to go in with her. Going to be heart breaking.
When you get there, get her to the front door and then pretend that you have forgotten something and say - you go in, Ive got to get xxx from the boot.