Covid in Care Home

Maggiejigs

Apr 22, 2018
I had a phone call on Boxing Day morning from a Carer at my husband’s care home to say two residents had tested positive for Covid and the home was in lockdown. On Monday morning I picked up my husband’s laundry from a Carer at the front door and she told me my husband had been tested that morning and it was negative.

it is now Wednesday evening and I have heard absolutely nothing from the Manager of the care home and assume neither have the families of other residents.

- I don’t know what is happening in the home
- I don’t know which variant is in the home
- don’t know if any more cases since Boxing Day
- don’t know if any residents have been hospitalised

Am I expecting too much by wanting either a reassuring phone call or an email from Manager to say what is happening I did email her this morning to say I was sorry to learn the virus was in the Home - but no response as yet!

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I dont suppose the home know which varient it is
I guess they would only tell yu there were more if they needed to change visting.
I doubt they would tellyou if anyone was hospitalised unles it was your husbandA phone call would be good, how many residents do they have?if they phon everyone, then have t phone again because things change, somene might be on the phone all day

millalm

Oct 9, 2019
I know it's difficult to not know what's going on during an outbreak, but as a designated caregiver I have been in Mum's home virtually everyday since they let us back in after the 1st 7 month lockdown and have witnessed what has to happen when there is an exposure/ confirmed case. The staff including admin and executive director have so many protocols they must roll out immediately to protect residents, staff and the equipment and signage to try to contain the virus that communicating to families falls off the list of priorities. Here in Ontario, Canada, we have had the same issues with communication, during the first wave I did not understand how everyone could be too busy to send an email, now I do.Please be patient and know that if there is something specific to your loved one you will get a call, in my experience only the no news has been good news. As of Christmas Day our care home is back to full isolation and no visitors other than 2 designated caregivers so everyday is a new challenge ! Best of Luck.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I had a phone call on Boxing Day morning from a Carer at my husband’s care home to say two residents had tested positive for Covid and the home was in lockdown. On Monday morning I picked up my husband’s laundry from a Carer at the front door and she told me my husband had been tested that morning and it was negative.

it is now Wednesday evening and I have heard absolutely nothing from the Manager of the care home and assume neither have the families of other residents.

- I don’t know what is happening in the home
- I don’t know which variant is in the home
- don’t know if any more cases since Boxing Day
- don’t know if any residents have been hospitalised

Am I expecting too much by wanting either a reassuring phone call or an email from Manager to say what is happening I did email her this morning to say I was sorry to learn the virus was in the Home - but no response as yet!
they are bound by confidentiality so only if your husband has it will they tell you. they wont say what it is, how many or any other details because they cant. data protection as well comes into play. they have given basic information to explain the lockdown.

Maggiejigs

Apr 22, 2018
Ok maybe I’m a bit impatient ?. The home is very small - only 17 residents and I don’t want to know names of residents who have Covid, only if there are more cases.

Peony21

Dec 27, 2021
Hi Maggie,
It's tough isn't it...we want all the answers and info we can get our hands on! I'm in a similar situation with my mum's home, although it's much bigger place.
They had some staff off with covid pre Christmas, adding to the already difficult staffing problems. Mum's home is in a part of London with the lowest vaccine take up in UK, and since Omicron, highest infection rate, so inevitable really.
They emailed everyone about the government changes to visiting but on boxing day, also had to go into lockdown due to 2 more staff and 2 or 3 residents testing positive.
I've phoned and they're incredibly busy but have also been incredibly helpful. The manager said it's taking time to get through emails but I'm welcome to phone anytime, so you might find you can get more up to date info on the overall situation more quickly by calling.
Hope that helps and that you and your husband keep well.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Peony21
a warm welcome from me too

the covid situation is so tough on those wanting to stay in touch with folk in reidenrial care
I hope you and @Maggiejigs have good news soon and are able to visit

Maggiejigs

Apr 22, 2018
Thank you for all your responses to my post. As of Boxing Day no emails or updates from care home Management which I am sorry to say I believe is a poor show given only 17 residents. I don’t like to phone the home so all info I have has been gleaned from Carers when I collect/deliver my husband’s laundry.

Thankfully they managed to contain the virus and prevent it spreading and Carer told me yesterday both ladies now testing negative. So will call the Manager today to ask what new rules are re visiting.

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
It is a worry @Maggiejigs and I am sorry that communication has been poor. My husband went in to a home last week with 21 residents, and so far I’ve had 2 emails and 2 phone calls in relation to Covid, and last night was told he has tested positive. They do have a lot of staff off sick, and I know I will get another call, but I also know he is being cared for, well, apart from catching Covid of course.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
My mother's care home forgot to tell me she had covid. Th had assured my sister in law in forceful terms they would have told me, when she knew they had hadn't. When I phoned to check if she really did have covid they were very apologetic as by then they realised their mistake.
I'm cutting them a bit of slack over it all as I know they are short staffed, but phoning up every couple of days to see how she is.

Suzy C

Sep 16, 2019
In my experience there is no communication unless your loved one tests positive. Otherwise we are just told when they close and when they are open.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Interesting comment about not phoning the home @Maggiejigs. My wife's care home seems to prefer me to phone. Whether I get through to the manager, deputy, senior or other staff they always seem to answer questions about her welfare as welll as the general situation. This is far quicker than emailing and waiting for a reply. It also helps keep up the friendships that that I have formed with the staff. Different places have their own preferences I suppose.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet