Covid and dementia

Bugs

Aug 27, 2020
My hubby and I both have Covid despite having had 2 vaccinations. Can anyone tell me if covid makes dementia worse? Neither of us are seriously ill although we tire easily. My hubby however is sleeping most of the day and his confusion is far worse than it was 10 days ago. Would this be due to the Covid and do you think it may improve once he’s over the virus. He has vascular dementia.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
It is widely reported in these columns that other illnesses have a short term effect on dementia, sometimes with a permanent legacy, but nothing is predictable. Alas you're going to have to take things day by day. The vaccine has probably saved you from far worse, so at least that's one thing to smile about!

DennyD

Dec 6, 2016
Porthcawl, South Wales
I dont' know if there has been any research in that area and i've not actively looked into it. Perhaps the emotional toll the illness takes may have an effect, I'm thinking in areas of willingness to go outside and be active. As you say if he's sleeping more probably due to the illness, it may make him more hesitent in being around others. If you're husband is normally a socially active person then this would be a negative in terms of his dementia.