Covid 19 outbreak in Mums care home

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I got the phone call I never wanted to hear this afternoon. Mums care home have gone into emergency measures as 10 out of 46 residents have tested positive for Covid 19 - Mum being one of them. Only last Sunday they told me that Mums latest test was negative but by Wednesday they had two residents with positive tests so everyone was tested again.

So it's back to room isolation although they know that some residents won't stay in their rooms, that includes Mum who wanders all over the place! Extra housekeeping staff from the other homes in the group have been drafted in to deep clean the whole place, they are using disposable crockery, cutlery etc and the local authority are involved.

The home is in Stockport, Greater Manchester, the area under new lockdown measures and was one of the areas with a spike in cases. But I did not expect it in the care home, there have been a few socially distanced outdoor visits but no one other than staff go into the home and they don't use agency staff. The manager was so pleased with their record during the previous lockdown, only two cases and no deaths so you can imagine how upset she was when she had to phone me.

All we can do now is play the waiting game and just hope that mum will be fine, she is really healthy with no underlying health problems other than dementia so fingers crossed.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
So sorry to hear that your Mum has tested positive for COVID 19 along with other residents in the home. It does seem like the home has and is doing all it can in the situation. It must be horrible not being in control and just having to wait from a distance.
I really hope that your Mum and the other residents are fine.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Sorry to hear that @lynmx, and hope your mum makes a good recovery. It seems almost impossible to keep covid-19 out of care homes, and the fact that tests are now in short supply again can't help.

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Gosh, what a worry. Trying times indeed. Hope she will be okay and that everyone recovers x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m really sorry to hear about the virus in your mum`s home @Lynmax and that she is one of those infected. I feel for the manager who obviously has taken so much care.

Fingers crossed all will be well.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
The news today is that Mum is not eating or drinking much despite every effort by the staff. She did not like the jelly cube things that comtain fluids and needs to be persuaded to eat a little. They have asked her if she can taste the food but she struggled to understand. But she does not have a temperature. On my sisters suggestion, they are going to try lemonade with a small amount of beer as mum used to enjoy a drink of beer with a meal.

They are happy for us to phone anytime for updates and will contact us if anything changes. The GP at the home has been informed and I missed her call this morning. It did now sound urgent though as although she gave me a number to call back ( either engaged or not answered so far) she said she will call me tomorrow when she is back in the surgery.