COVID-19: Is it safe to go to the hospital?

AztecCamera87

Mar 12, 2019
I need to take my dad to the local hospital for blood tests. I'm a bit anxious about taking him, I asked his GP if someone could come and take his blood at home and I was told it wouldn't be possible, so I asked how safe it would be to go to the hospital and I was given a pretty non-committal response. While I will ensure he's wearing a mask, I have no idea how he's going to be wearing it, I imagine it's going to be me putting it back on him every 10 minutes... Probably best to pack a few as if I'm not paying 100% attention he will probably throw it on the floor. He also has a tendency to touch everything around him, so again it will probably be me putting hand gel on him every few minutes.

We don't drive and would normally use public transport, but I think that would certainly be a no right now. It's a half hour walk so not bad, but a little uphill, so on a hot day I will be knackered pushing the wheel chair. Anyway, yeah... so what do you all think? Have you taken your loved one to a hospital recently? Did you have any issues with face coverings and touching things? Should I push harder about getting a home visit instead right now? Feedback (and hopefully assurance) appreciated.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I have heard hospitals have segregation sorted and there are separate entrances for those suspected of having coronavirus and those who are attending for routine care.

I also heard appointments are spaced so there is little risk of contact between patients.

As soon as you arrive at the hospital @AztecCamera87 I would make sure the staff are well aware your dad has dementia and you cannot guarantee his awareness of self distancing and staying safe.

Good luck.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
As Grannie G said, Covid wards are kept separate from the rest of the hospital.

Our local hospital has a red and blue zone for A & E - with completely separate entrances (I have a friend working on one) - my husband and son went a few weeks ago (minor injury for son) and they were handed facemasks as they entered.

I think hosptials provide face amsks if you don't bring your own, as from yesterday it is required to wear one in hospital for those over 11 with no disability - I would suggest your dad's dementia does exempt him if you can't get him to keep it on.

Hospitals have stepped up their cleaning routines and for a blood test I don't think there are any issues.

As far as public transport is concerned it is meant to be essential travel only - travelling to a hospital is essential travel. I haven't been on a bus but I have noticed as I have passed busses, that alternate seats are taped off to ensure social distancing.

I think it would be better to use public transport than exhaust either yourself or your dad, but there are less buses so you might have to sit in the sun and wait, so maybe walking will be quicker, make sure your dad has a sun hat of some sort.

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
I need to take my dad to the local hospital for blood tests. I'm a bit anxious about taking him, I asked his GP if someone could come and take his blood at home and I was told it wouldn't be possible, so I asked how safe it would be to go to the hospital and I was given a pretty non-committal response. While I will ensure he's wearing a mask, I have no idea how he's going to be wearing it, I imagine it's going to be me putting it back on him every 10 minutes... Probably best to pack a few as if I'm not paying 100% attention he will probably throw it on the floor. He also has a tendency to touch everything around him, so again it will probably be me putting hand gel on him every few minutes.

We don't drive and would normally use public transport, but I think that would certainly be a no right now. It's a half hour walk so not bad, but a little uphill, so on a hot day I will be knackered pushing the wheel chair. Anyway, yeah... so what do you all think? Have you taken your loved one to a hospital recently? Did you have any issues with face coverings and touching things? Should I push harder about getting a home visit instead right now? Feedback (and hopefully assurance) appreciated.
I was phoned my husband’s care home a fortnight ago because they had to phone an ambulance for him, suspected angina attack. I had to go with him (ironic really considering we’re not allowed to visit) . When we arrived the was totally separate entrance and I was given a mask but they were very understanding about his dementia and said they could see why he wouldn’t wear one. The staff were brilliant with us we were well fed and the department was very quiet. I never thought I’d be happy that someone was taken to hospital but it gave me a lovely five hours with him. He wanted to dance with me so they even put some music on so we danced.
I hope your hospital trip goes ok :)

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Our GP has a drive through system for blood tests which works well. I had to go to hospital for a scan last week. I was given a mask on entering, and everything was normal thereafter. Plus I’m still OK, no Covid!

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall

Hi. How about a wheelchair taxi to take you?. That’s what I do with dad and it would be less stressful for you.
It is safe to go into the hospital as I had to in for myself and was given a mask to wear. Plus there is hand gel available.

AztecCamera87

Mar 12, 2019
Thank you to everyone who replied. It really helped reassure me, i'm trying to deal with my increased anxiety through mindfulness. I am hoping it will help calm me.

Anywho, we have completed the blood tests on Thursday. Dad was constantly taking off his face mask, but he wasn't trying to touch everything around him at least. The hospital staff were very helpful and everything was very clean.

My sister had a missed call and voice mail on friday, very quick.... asking her to get in contact with regards to blood test. We keep asking the doctors surgery to not call her mobile, but to call mine or the house phone, as she has no signal at her workplace. But alas, they never do!

Mydarlingdaughter

Oct 25, 2019
North East England UK
I have been for 3 blood tests recently at 2 different hospitals as part of ongoing treatment, which I was very anxious about but went very well, the blood tests clinics are not busy because most people are staying away!
I have a home made cloth mask and I felt quite safe actually. Apparently most of the NHS is supposed to have dementia friendly awareness.