Covid 19 and mum in law

hrh

Sep 16, 2017
Last night mum was taken to the hospital with suspected sepsis due to the lock down at the care home none of the direct family have found her for two weeks. The doctor insisted that the paramedics were called again and take her to hospital. Last night was a nightmare trying to get information from a and e due to confidentiality patient, they promised to phone once up on the ward. No word came.
So today we finally managed to find which ward she was in, they said all tests came back normal so sending her back to the CH.
Now four hours after that call we told she been transferred to the Covid 19 ward as her bloods come back showing infection!
It's deeply distressing not knowing what is happening, mum has advanced dementia worsening each week, it horrible to think she may not survive this and not have any comfort from seeing her daughters and son again.
Brings home how many others are in the same situation, heart breaking ?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Yes, the current situation is creating many heartbreaking situations.

I hope your mum rallies and that she gets to see her family again.

I wish you strength.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s the biggest test of our own well being to be separated in such a devastating way from those we have tried to protect for so many years.

I hope your mum will be well cared for and safe @hrh and you will eventually be able to see her again.

hrh

Sep 16, 2017
Up date on mum, she was released from the hospital after 7 days in isolation and sent back to the CH beginning of this week, mum has continued to become weaker not eating or drinking much and is sleeping a lot, the care home allowed us to do a window visit to see her yesterday, the hospital lost her hearing aid so communication wasn't good, she did wake up gave a slight smile and blew us a kiss, heartbreaking, as I'm sure this is our last time with her.
Today the CH called an ambulance due to mum not taking on enough fluids, it is a residential not nursing home, we asked she not be taken into hospital and to let her naturally fade away. After a lot of calls between the CH paramedics, they agreed to leave for a few hours but then to call back if deteriorated.
This is so distressing and heartbreaking as can't go and give comfort to mum knowing she is physically shutting herself down. We do not have power of health and social care so know tomorrow morning the doctors or 111 will instruct the CH to call the ambulance and take her into hospital again. Again the hospital will put her on an iv over night and send her home.
How can you go through so many emotions at any one time, knowing that mum wants to leave, the professions keeping her here. Is there anything more we can do to convince them to let her be? We just so fraught at the moment.
Thank goodness for this for forum to be able to express freely how you feeling. Your support is much appreciated.
H?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im so sorry that your mum has reached this stage.
I didnt have H&W POA for my mum either and I had the same problems of mum bing taken into hospital, being given IV fluids and then being sent back to her CH..........

I insisted on speaking to the CH GP about this and he agreed with me entirely, so it was recorded into her care plan not to call the ambulance and mum was placed on palliative care. I know that I spoke to the GP face to face and you cant do that now, but you may be able to speak to him/her over the phone. If he agrees with you, it wont matter that you dont have POA, he can change the care plan, when the care home cant.

hrh

Sep 16, 2017
Im so sorry that your mum has reached this stage.
I didnt have H&W POA for my mum either and I had the same problems of mum bing taken into hospital, being given IV fluids and then being sent back to her CH..........

I insisted on speaking to the CH GP about this and he agreed with me entirely, so it was recorded into her care plan not to call the ambulance and mum was placed on palliative care. I know that I spoke to the GP face to face and you cant do that now, but you may be able to speak to him/her over the phone. If he agrees with you, it wont matter that you dont have POA, he can change the care plan, when the care home cant.

Thank you, the CH said her breathing was shallow last night, today is Bank Holiday Monday so CH doctors are closed for now, but we will definitely speak with the doctor tomorrow morning.

Thank you so much for this support.

H x ?

Violin1963

May 9, 2018
Thank you, the CH said her breathing was shallow last night, today is Bank Holiday Monday so CH doctors are closed for now, but we will definitely speak with the doctor tomorrow morning.

Thank you so much for this support.

H x ?
So sorry HRH, just read this thread after our mum too was taken into hospital last night after a fall. We have POA for health and had asked the care home to avoid hospital admissions but still mum was taken and we know it will set her back. It’s distressing and heartbreaking and I feel for you.

hrh

Sep 16, 2017
We are just waiting for the CH doctors to telephone, we spoke to the CH manager and she will also speak to the Dr to update the care plan and dnr.

Just the waiting is agonising discussing this plan for mum.

H x

hrh

Sep 16, 2017
Hello everyone

We have just spoken with the doctors he has agreed for mum not be taken into hospital and will now put her on a palliative care/end of life pathway. He will update the DNR at the CH and we shall liaise with the home about sitting with mum over next few days/week.
This is a monumental decision for us all and at least we see a pathway.

Thank you so much for the support. A long journey.

Helen❤️

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa