Court of Protection

camkam

Jul 20, 2015
My mum is now living permanently in a care home which is excellent, the staff are wonderful, she goes out twice a week to an Age UK daycare centre and after months of battling with social services they finally agreed that she would be safer if she stayed in care permanently than if she went home with carers. The latest DoLS assessment has everyone in agreement that the care home is best for mum, but now someone from an advocacy charity is claiming that as mum's 'representative' she is going to go to the Court of Protection as mum keeps saying she wants to go home. I thought that Alzheimers sufferers did ask to go home because they want familiarity, even though in many cases (including my mum) they don't even know where 'home' was. Mum is settled in the care home until this woman goes to see her and starts talking to her about going home again and it really distresses her and upsets her but I seem to be powerless and all I can do is wait for it to go to court and hope that the judge decides the care home is the best place for her. I don't know how this can be allowed to happen when medical experts, social services, DoLS, the care home staff and all of her family feel that she is best off in the home. I have LPA Health & Welfare but this seems to be worth absolutely nothing as I've been told that I can't be mum's representative and it actually isn't worth the paper it's written on and I have no say at all in the decisions being made. Has anyone else had similar experience?

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I have LPA Health & Welfare but this seems to be worth absolutely nothing as I've been told that I can't be mum's representative and it actually isn't worth the paper it's written on and I have no say at all in the decisions being made. Has anyone else had similar experience?

This seems very strange. Camkam, who told you that you can't be your Mum's representative?

xx

camkam

Jul 20, 2015
This seems very strange. Camkam, who told you that you can't be your Mum's representative?

xx

When the first DoLS was done I was her representative, then I got a call from the DoLS office to say that as I was her LPA I couldn't be her representative as I might not look on the situation with an unbiased view!

camkam

Jul 20, 2015
It sounds very strange to me too. How did this woman get involved?

Hi, when the DoLS people told me I couldn't be mum's representative as I was her LPA, they said that this organisation would represent her. It's all to do with a court case a couple of years ago where someone had a DoLS and they protested against it because I think they were mentally okay but physically disabled. The case has been quoted to me many times by mum's representative but I can't remember the details. Anyway since then the law has been changed apparently to protect the individual concerned. Seems ridiculous to me.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
It sounds like a very over-zealous individual who knows nothing about Alzheimers to me, especially as the DoLs has been implemented. Who is going to pay for the CoP hearing? Is she expecting you to pay on behalf of your mum? Can you contact the DoLs office to complain about her?

Edit to say its the charity you might want to complain to, not the DoLs office - sorry

Last edited:

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I hear residents in the home saying they want to go home every time I visit, it's a normal enough thing to hear although if you ask where home is they never seem to know even where home actually is.
I take it this person made contact with your mum while she was in the home, how did that happen and are they intending to get everyone who wants to go home out?
Personally I'd be tempted to get a restraining order as this person harassing your mother and causing her distress.
I don't believe that in the face of what you want and what all the care professionals have said they have a hope in the CoP and I hope social services are aware and will send someone and everyone involved in the DoLS process.
I'd be interested to know who this charity is but send a PM don't put it on here as it would not be allowed.
K

camkam

Jul 20, 2015
It sounds like a very over-zealous individual who knows nothing about Alzheimers to me, especially as the DoLs has been implemented. Who is going to pay for the CoP hearing? Is she expecting you to pay on behalf of your mum? Can you contact the DoLs office to complain about her?

Edit to say its the charity you might want to complain to, not the DoLs office - sorry

I asked her if mum would have to pay for the court case and she said no, so I'm guessing you, I and every other taxpayer will be footing the bill!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I asked her if mum would have to pay for the court case and she said no, so I'm guessing you, I and every other taxpayer will be footing the bill!

I doubt the charity will like that - they will probably be the ones paying. The CoP doesnt waiver its fees.

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
I can't find anything about an attorney not being eligible to be the RPR for DoLs in this document from the OPG
file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/RPR%20Guide.pdf
You can object to them continuing in their role if you want to.

camkam

Jul 20, 2015
I've been looking on the internet and apparently the judges in the court of protection don't like family members (whether or not they're an attorney), being representatives as they may have interests in money, property, etc.

I guess I'll just have to let things take their course and see what happens.

camkam

Jul 20, 2015
It's not a charity from the look of it, all LA's have to have an advocacy service like this although I've never come across one before.
The LA's had to set them up as required under the 2005 mental capacity act.
So I guess as said the taxpayer/LA is paying the costs.
K
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga.../independent-mental-capacity-advocate-service

Well this woman is wasting our money! Thanks Kevin I wasn't sure as I thought it had a charity number at the bottom of their website.

camkam

Jul 20, 2015
I can't find anything about an attorney not being eligible to be the RPR for DoLs in this document from the OPG
file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/RPR%20Guide.pdf
You can object to them continuing in their role if you want to.

Hi, I can't open the document unfortunately but I'll look it up. I wondered about objecting but I think in the long term it may go against me, you don't really know what to do for the best.

tigerlady

Nov 29, 2015
I have PoA for my husband and also am his representative regarding the DoLS. I was never told I could not be his representative.

camkam

Jul 20, 2015
Hi tiger lady, I'm beginning to think that the local authority I'm dealing with makes up its own rules!

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Ive been thinking about this camkam and I think they may be afraid of litigation (the way this lady keeps referring to a previous case). I wonder if a letter to them, outlining the problem, explaining that she has dementia, that asking to "go home" is a common symptom, that she has no idea where "home" is (although its not her previous address), that she has lost capacity and does not understand implications, that DoLs is considered appropriate for her situation, that all professionals are in agreement that this is the best place for her, and if she were to go back to her house (or whatever) then you would "hold them personally responsible if anything untoward happened to her", might make them think twice. I have also heard that getting your MP involved can be helpful, but I have no experience of that.

camkam

Jul 20, 2015
Ive been thinking about this camkam and I think they may be afraid of litigation (the way this lady keeps referring to a previous case). I wonder if a letter to them, outlining the problem, explaining that she has dementia, that asking to "go home" is a common symptom, that she has no idea where "home" is (although its not her previous address), that she has lost capacity and does not understand implications, that DoLs is considered appropriate for her situation, that all professionals are in agreement that this is the best place for her, and if she were to go back to her house (or whatever) then you would "hold them personally responsible if anything untoward happened to her", might make them think twice. I have also heard that getting your MP involved can be helpful, but I have no experience of that.

Hi, yes I've been thinking about this too, I had an email from the home today saying that this woman went to see mum the other day unannounced, and they told her in no uncertain terms the mental damage that she is doing to mum and they wouldn't let her see mum! When they told the social worker she said "good for you"! so I think I will write to the woman's organisation and explain the situation. I think she is on some personal mission!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet