• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can now be found in our new area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can directly access this area >here<.

court of protection


Registered User
Dec 11, 2015
hi all

i am new to all this so please bare with me

my father in law was dignosed with not having capasity due to excess alchol for years 5 years we have been trying to get help

since his dignosis he is now in local hospital having detox , and assessmentments and will not be leaving hospital dols in place while social service find him emi nursing home

my father in law has 2 sons one of which hasnt seen him for years neither have we

the socail worker has mentioned to us to get court of protection order , have read up on it and still none the wiser

does the other son need to be told of court of protection ?
do we have to get court of protection ? as my partner is oldest next of kin etc

we spoke/ informed bank and have thrid party to gain access

and to be honest we couldnt offord the payment asked for court of protection


Registered User
Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
The cost of Deputyship would come form your FIL's capital bit if he only has a state payments - pension, disability etc. then DWP Appointeeship is all that is necessary for basic things.
Yes, close relatives are supposed to be informed of any Deputyship,application so that they can present any objections.