Court of Protection...Where do I start?!

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
Hi to all you lovely people. I need to apply to be a deputy to the court of protection....can anyone recommend a reasonably priced solicitor in London (assuming I need relatively local to myself?)

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hi Kazza, a real "mine field" and can take sooooo long, the COP however are very helpful so herewith the link:
https://www.gov.uk/court-of-protection
They will be able to to guide you through the procedure and may suggest someone local to you on the legal side who may be of help:)
Fingers crossed!
Chris

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Thanks guys. Yes mum has absolutely no capacity to sign any kind of document.

I'm sorry Kazza. There are lots of Deputies on here. I'm not sure but you could perhaps avoid a solicitor and just download the forms. I'm sure others will be along soon to help

Take care

Lyn T XX

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
I might give it a go myself and see of I can manage it...

I had a falling out with my brother 4 years ago and he hasn't been in touch with my mum for 3 years, am I obliged to name him on the form? If the court were to contact him the chances are he would make things as difficult for me as possible

Jesskle66

Jul 5, 2014
No, you are not obliged to mention him if he has no contact. My solicitor didn't put two of my sisters on the list of people who have regular contact with my mum as they haven't been to see her in years, but he did mention them somewhere on one of the forms just to cover me. Hopefully I am getting towards the end of the process. I tried to fill in the forms myself but gave up as I got really upset each time I tried to do it. If you use a solicitor they may defer fees until you are granted deputy ship and it can than be paid from the person's money you are acting as deputy for.

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
Thank you for replying...that's giving me some hope. I really don't wants brother being contacted...our relationship is beyond repair and I know he would sabotage everything. I only want deputyship to add myself to mums tenancy...it's all so long winded. How long for CoP take to set up?

Jesskle66

Jul 5, 2014
Think the guidance is 4-6 months. It is long winded, lots of repetition with the forms and statutory waiting periods between activities. I started the process in March and still expect it to take at least another month. That is with a solicitor doing the forms, suspect it would have been longer if I'd done it myself.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
That is with a solicitor doing the forms, suspect it would have been longer if I'd done it myself.
Not necessarily. I did mine for my husband myself and it took under 3 months.
There wasn't much waiting around between the various stages of the process either so that might have been down to the solicitor as he/she would have had other matters to see to whilst I could concentrate on it wholly.

That time included an added application to appoint a Trustee to act for my husband in the sale of a jointly owned holiday chalet.

Be aware that if your brother hears of your application, he will be able to object to the CoP.

Sent from my iPod touch using Talking Point

Last edited:

joggyb

Dec 1, 2014
FWIW, you don't need to use a particularly local solicitor (if you choose to use one). So long as you have access to a phone and a computer, most matters these days can be handled without face-to-face meetings. My own solicitor is over 30 miles away, and we've never met!

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
Thanks guys. I don't plan to name my brother in the application and unless the court dig and contact him then there's no chance he will know about it as he has no contact with any relatives or my mum

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet