• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can now be found in our new area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can directly access this area >here<.

Court of protection form


New member
Dec 7, 2018
Hello , my mother has been in a nursing
Home for the past 15 months and we have been trying to sort out a deputyship as she has no POA in place , the court are requiring a new COP3 form which the GP are refusing to fill in , they originally said they could do this for a charge but now refuse to fill it in , we owe £22 k in nursing home fees which cannot be paid until the depurtship is in place


Registered User
Apr 6, 2011
North Manchester
There is a list of people who can sign a COP3

The practitioner may be a registered:

– medical practitioner, for example the GP of the person to whom the application relates;
– psychiatrist
– approved mental health professional
– social worker
– psychologist
– nurse, or
– occupational therapist

who has examined and assessed the capacity of the person to whom the application relates.

In some circumstances it might be appropriate for a registered therapist, such as a speech therapist or occupational therapist, to complete
the form.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/866598/cop3-eng.pdf .

If you can't identify anybody on this list you could use an independent social worker
https://www.basw.co.uk/independents-directory .

Note that when you apply for deputyship you could attach a request for an interim decision regarding care fees, this is free of charge'
https://www.gov.uk/emergency-court-of-protection .
Last edited:


New member
Dec 7, 2018
Thank you , I’ve tried social services she doesn’t have an allocated social worker because she s self funding , tried a psychiatrist and CPN nurse all to no avail