Court of Protection Deputy

99purdy

Oct 31, 2014
Hi everybody, just wanted to let you know that I was awarded deputyship for 'Dad' yesterday. If anybody remembers my earlier post I was quoted £2000.00 plus from a solicitor who said I would not be able to complete the application myself. Well guess what I did!! It was really not too bad. So anybody else out there starting the process please try yourself, once you sit and read everything it is quite straight forward. I just copied every thing and found it easier to fill in on line and print. Any mistakes can then be altered by page. Do not be afraid to speak to COP they are very helpful. Good luck to anybody else starting the process. X

Mimi1977

Jul 21, 2015
Well done Purdy

Out of interest how long did it take? I started the registration of a EPA a few weeks ago, I'm assuming we are talking 10 weeks at least for the OPG to get back to me, though a solicitor says it's less.

99purdy

Oct 31, 2014
Hi Mimi, started end of April and deputyship completed middle of July so approx 12 weeks I think. X

99purdy

Oct 31, 2014
Thank you so much everybody. Especially tryingmybest, have been following your posts, sincerely hope you are soon sorted you are doing a fantastic job! X

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I did mine for my husband myself too. I am though, astounded at the price your solicitor quoted. There is supposed to be a set charge for solicitors arranging Deputyship. It was around £850 but might well have gone up since 2011.
That of course didn't include the £400 application fee nor the bonds and initial annual fee so they may well have driven the cost up I suppose if included.

Dibs

Jun 19, 2009
Hampshire
I also applied for Deputyship for my mum last year and successfully filled the forms in. It did seem quite daunting at first but I took my time and the COP were extremely helpful on the phone with any queries that I had.
Also after reading about Saffie's experience it gave me the confidence to apply. :)
Dibs

99purdy

Oct 31, 2014
Hi Saffie, I would not like anybody to experience what I did with this solicitor. He basically had no idea how to complete a deputy application. He cost me a lot of time and money. In hindsight I should of just completed the application myself. I work full time and trying to care for a sick Dad I just thought it would be quicker and better for my sanity to employ a solicitor. I just thought the costs would be similar to the fixed costs. However the costs started to rise when he said we need to write to a then b etc! All this was not a necessity. Anyway after challenging his bill I basically paid up todate and started the process myself. As you say when you start to work through it really is very straight forward. I would recommend anybody to try themselves. If you do need a solicitor make sure they understand fully the deputy procedure. X