1. Welcome to Talking Point - an online community for everyone who is affected by dementia. Whether you have dementia or know someone who does, we will be there for you.

    Sign up to join the community, or Log in if you're already a member.

    If you need help using Talking Point, read our Help pages or contact us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk

  2. Hi everyone, Talking Point is back! We’ve updated the software in order to improve security, design, and the way the community works, and introduced some helpful features.

    Find out more

COURT OF PROTECTION - advice please

Discussion in 'Middle - later stages of dementia' started by ShrinkingViolet, Nov 10, 2017.

  1. ShrinkingViolet

    ShrinkingViolet Registered User

    Nov 16, 2016
    #1 ShrinkingViolet, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    My mother has been in the home she was placed in under an emergency order when my father died suddenly. My father had refused to give anyone power of attorney and tried to minimise Mum's condition so as soon as it was obvious she was lacking capability she was made subject to the Court of Protection. We left her in the home where she'd been placed while we got a diagnosis and one of my siblings applied to be a deputy with regard to Mum's financial arrangements. All this took best part of a year and we are still battling with probate issues and the like (Dad was old fashioned and had everything in his name) 13 months after his death.

    Mum has since been diagnosed with Alzheimers and vascular dementia and is approaching the end of the middle stage of Alzheimers.

    The home she is in is several hours drive from any of her children as our parents decided to 'retire to the west country'. It's a good home and she is well looked after but even so, there are things we feel we need to check on regularly. We pay for a carer to take her to the hairdressers every week so she gets an outing and we travel to see her as often as possible. However, with the distances involved (from 300 to 1500 miles) it isn't always easy. We are very conscious anything we do should be for Mum's benefit and not our convenience but we feel strongly if she were closer we could do more for her and see more of her - that would be to her benefit even if she doesn't remember we've been.

    However, we are concerned about a) whether we'd be 'allowed' to - theoretically her medical care is with the Community Mental Health team not us and b) how well transferring someone with Alzheimers works. Does anyone have experience of moving someone who is under Court of Protection? How do we go about getting permission to move her? How easy is the transition for the Alzheimer's sufferer. Is the handover between the healthcare services smooth or are there things we should watch out for? How do we even initiate the discussion to determine whether it's a good idea?

    Mum is paying for her own care and actually this move is likely to cost more, rather than less, so we can demonstrate our motives are pure. (I know COP is on the lookout for people trying to preserve their inheritance to the detriment of their relatives care.)

    Any advice or shared experience would be very welcome.

    Thank you
  2. Shedrech

    Shedrech Volunteer Host

    Dec 15, 2012
    hi @ShrinkingViolet
    I'm afraid there is no simple answer to your dilemma
    I appreciate that you would like to visit your mum more often and keeping family ties is important
    have you had a chat with the staff in your mum's current home? they may well have some ideas as to how your mum might cope with a move, as it's a very individual thing
    maybe contact the COP direct and ask what their take is on this
    sorry not to have any helpful suggestions
  3. Normaleila

    Normaleila Registered User

    Jun 4, 2016
    Hi. We had LPA for my aunt so COP wasn't involved. We were in despair as she deteriorated and SS were not making any progress. That's when I found an independent social worker. He advised us, met my aunt, completed reports and found a lovely care home which, as it happens, is in a different LA and Health Authority area. An independent social worker is not the answer for everyone but it was the perfect solution for our family.
  4. Baker17

    Baker17 Registered User

    Mar 9, 2016
    Hi, sorry to butt in but how do you go about finding an independent social worker please?
  5. Normaleila

    Normaleila Registered User

    Jun 4, 2016
    Hi Baker17. The British Association of Social Workers has a directory of independent social workers:
    I emailed 2 that were in the right region and had experience of dementia, DoLS and so on. I chose the first one that phoned me back.
  6. Baker17

    Baker17 Registered User

    Mar 9, 2016
    Thank you for that info
  7. Normaleila

    Normaleila Registered User

    Jun 4, 2016
    I hope it's useful.

Share This Page