Court of Protection advice anyone?

LittleVera

May 27, 2008
Oxon
Hi everyone,

I became my mother's 'receiver' via the Court of Protection last autumn and wondered whether anyone had any advice for completing the annual accounts.

The paperwork required to get to this point has been incredible! If I had known what was involved at the beginning I might have had second thoughts.

My mother's father had Alzheimers and so when my mother started to develop the signs a few years ago we knew right away what it was. Over time, I spoke to my father several times about taking her to the doctor, or getting some kind of help (they were both in their 70s). But for whatever reason, he never would; he would say 'let's see what she's like in a couple of weeks'. She wasn't washing, was sleeping in her clothes and never changing them; hiding things, getting herself locked into rooms, forgetting to take her thyroid medication and so on.

Anyway, last March 07 they went to Spain for a fortnight and the day after they arrived we got a call to say Dad had had a major heart attack and basically passed away in the hotel room. Mum was on her own in a foreign country and I don't have a passport! So you can imagine our panic - happily, a wonderful lady from the travel company went to the clinic to be with her and stayed with her all day, flying back to the UK with her that night.

Since that time Mum has lived with us in our house as I cannot deal with her living alone and the amount of time I would have to spend at her house to care for her (even with the help of social services). I am married with 3 young children and also self-employed.

My greatest sadness is that Mum cannot tell me what happened in my father's last hours, and I have no way of knowing how long she might have sat watching him suffer, not knowing what to do.

Sorry - long post - lots to get off my chest!

LittleVera

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
I am so sorry to hear of the death of your father. But your heading implies an issue with the court of protection and their need for annual accounts.

Can you tell us what the problem is here? I'm an accountant (with no knowledge whatsoever about the requirements of the Court of Protection) but will do my best to help. Get back in touch.

Margaret

Hi everyone,

I became my mother's 'receiver' via the Court of Protection last autumn and wondered whether anyone had any advice for completing the annual accounts.

The paperwork required to get to this point has been incredible! If I had known what was involved at the beginning I might have had second thoughts.

My mother's father had Alzheimers and so when my mother started to develop the signs a few years ago we knew right away what it was. Over time, I spoke to my father several times about taking her to the doctor, or getting some kind of help (they were both in their 70s). But for whatever reason, he never would; he would say 'let's see what she's like in a couple of weeks'. She wasn't washing, was sleeping in her clothes and never changing them; hiding things, getting herself locked into rooms, forgetting to take her thyroid medication and so on.

Anyway, last March 07 they went to Spain for a fortnight and the day after they arrived we got a call to say Dad had had a major heart attack and basically passed away in the hotel room. Mum was on her own in a foreign country and I don't have a passport! So you can imagine our panic - happily, a wonderful lady from the travel company went to the clinic to be with her and stayed with her all day, flying back to the UK with her that night.

Since that time Mum has lived with us in our house as I cannot deal with her living alone and the amount of time I would have to spend at her house to care for her (even with the help of social services). I am married with 3 young children and also self-employed.

My greatest sadness is that Mum cannot tell me what happened in my father's last hours, and I have no way of knowing how long she might have sat watching him suffer, not knowing what to do.

Sorry - long post - lots to get off my chest!

LittleVera

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello LittleVera

I`m sorry I have had no experience with the Court of Protection but have seen it mentioned on these pages many times. I hope it won`t be long before someone is able to discuss it with you.

You could phone the AS Helpline 0845 300 0336. 8 30 a.m. -6.30 pm

Your story about your father`s passing is very sad indeed. I can imagine your mind working overtime to try to picture the predicament your mothher was in.

To have your mother living with you with a young family must be very difficult to say the least. It is hard enough caring for a spouse with no other responsibilities.

Take care.xx