• The person was younger than 65 at onset

Votes: 37 86.0%
  • The person was 65 or over at onset

Votes: 6 14.0%

• Total voters

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Several people have mentioned that their loved one has dementia at an age that seems unusually low.

Normally, anyone who develops dementia before the age of 65 is termed a "young onset" person.

Some people, like my Jan, is now aged over 65, but her dementia started in earnest when she was 50, so she is still a young onset person.

I've put a poll on here - if you feel like it, can you select the option that applies to your loved one?

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
While confirming the age 65 cut-off [is it 65 and under, or 65 and over], I came across two documents at the Alzheimer's Society web site that may be interesting.

I have never seen this before, but it provides a view of how things should proceed in diagnosing young onset patients.
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/Younger_People_with_Dementia/PDF/YOD Regional Pathway.pdf

The second is a supplement to a report produced in 2007, the supplement being for Northern Ireland. The original report itself covered the United Kingdom, and much of the Northern Ireland material has relevance elsewhere.

The original UK report seems to have vanished into the ether...... hence my highlighting the NI supplement.
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/News_and_Campaigns/Campaigning/PDF/Dementia_UK_NI_Supplement.pdf

cris

Aug 23, 2006
Chelmsford
Brucie. having the poll posted in "young onset dementia" maybe only people with young onset will see and results will be biased.
cris

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi cris

I posted here because this is likely to be the place where those with a young onset parent or partner come.

The poll is not intended to be statistically and proportionally correct - in fact the only thing I wanted from it was the number of young onset people.

I added the 65 and over category simply not to exclude anyone from the poll

I have put lots of polls in the "About Talking Point Members" area of TP and I think they get overlooked these days.

So this poll will undoubtedly be skewed, as it might have been [but the other way around] had I put it in the main support area.

Gwenno

Jun 18, 2006
Worcestershire
Question seems fine. Have no problems with it. I shall tick early onset as my husband began with FrontoTemporal Lobe Dementia before he was 65.

Gwenno

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
I agree Bruce. Like your Jan, Lionel is now over 65. His illness started in his fifties.

I usually post my updates on him in this area, as he will always be early onset.

nicetotalk

Sep 22, 2006
stretford
Hi brucie

thought that was a good idea about the poll you conducted ive just put my vote on and the amount of young people with early onset is quite something. It makes me wonder is it only now people are more aware of this illness is it because of this great site that we can all cometogether and share our experiences. Years ago it was not talked about that much i thought back then it was just the old how wrong.

kathy

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LDrew