Counting? Please help

Cupcake79

Aug 28, 2015
My nan had a stroke 3 months ago and has since developed dementia at a rapid pace. For the last week she has been counting constantly. No one can talk to her because she just counts. She is very agitated and keeps taking her pyjamas off even though she only has use of her right side.
We found out 3 days ago she has a water infection so we are hoping that this is playing some part in why she is so bad at the moment. Problem is, she is refusing medication, not really eating or drinking.
Can anyone recommend any activities she can do which may take her mind off of the counting. The stroke took most of her vision (we're still waiting for her eyes to be tested 3 months on) so she can't see the TV or read. She used to knit but I'm assuming this would be out the question incase she damaged herself with the needles.
Any help would be appreciated. This is very new to us and it's so upsetting to see.
Thanks for reading.

Moleskin

Jul 22, 2015
I wonder if playing music she's familiar with to her may help - or even singing to her something she knows well? Would she respond if you tried to talk to her about her children or husband or significant events or places - if you asked her questions about her past life she may respond.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
A small cd player with ear phones, playing her favourite music, talking books even some of the old bbc radio comedy favourites like Tony Hancock. You may not need the ear phones. What about letting her count/sort playing cards. If you feel that it is unsafe to give her knitting needles, why not unravel old wool jumpers/cardigans and let her roll into balls, my mum did this for hours, I bought a load of old stuff from local charity shop and she rolled and sorted all, have not done this one for a while now and my mum is getting a bit of obsessive about sitting in our parked car so think I will introduce the wool again.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Has she perhaps lost language and is unable to talk, so now she can only count?
I agree with others, music is often a good distraction.