Counselling

Lisa8393

Jun 10, 2021
Hi everyone I'm Lisa new to all of this. I care for my mum who was diagnosed with alzheimer's in April but shes been dealing with it for 10yrs now. After reading through the book from alzheimers association shes in the middle stages now. Shes always suffered with anxiety and after losing her close sister 3yrs ago she started on antidepressants, I've been trying to find her some counselling and was just wondering if anyone can help me with this as I dont know where to start.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Lisa8393 and welcome to DTP

My mum had Alzheimers and I recognise the stage that your mum is at.
At this stage people with Alzheimers become anxious because they do not understand what is happening, or because they know they aught to be doing something but cannot remember how or what. Counselling is just not suitable for them because they cannot remember what they have been instructed to do and their thought processes cannot follow logical steps anymore. If anything, counselling is likely to make them more anxious as it will draw attention to the things they can no longer do. I think medication is he way to go. If your mums antidepressants are not working sufficiently I would go back to the GP and ask for a review of her medication. Perhaps a different antidepressant might work better.

Lisa8393

Jun 10, 2021
My mum has been put on diazepam to calm her but it doesn't seem to have any effect could this be because of the alzheimer's disease?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
It can take a while to find the right medication - sometimes its a bit of a trial and error procedure.
But also, has your mum only just been prescribed this? It can take a couple of weeks for the full affect to show.