1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Counselling for the Carers?

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by debby13, Nov 23, 2007.

1. debby13

debby13 Registered User

Oct 15, 2007
    Hi there

I just wondered if there were any counselling places specifically for carers and those who are on the other side of dementia. My poor little Dad once such a great strong and charismatic man is now a helpless waif. It is breaking my heart to see this and I know that I desperately need to get help for how it is affecting me. I live in London and wondered if anyone had any suggestions or recommendations for counsellors?

Thanks in advance for helping!

xx

2. Skye

Skye Registered User

Aug 29, 2006
    SW Scotland
    Hi Debby

I'm sorry you're finding it so hard to cope with. It's not easy, watching the slow decline of the person we love.

Have you tried Princess Royal Trust for Carers? Many branches have a trained counsellor, and there is always someone there to listen, and provide tea and tissues.

Yu can find your local branch here:

http://www.carers.org/

Keep in touch, there's usually someone here, too, to listen.

Love,

3. christine_batch

christine_batch Registered User

Jul 31, 2007
    Buckinghamshire
    Hi Debby,
    Apart from our local Alzheimer's Branch whereby they can put you in the right place for Councelling, some Branches do have qualified people attached to them, it can be done through the Social Worker.
    I did go on a referral and it was benefitial.
    Good luck. Christine