1. Q&A: Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) - Thursday 27 Sept, 3-4pm

Power of attorney (LPA) is a legal tool that gives another adult - often a carer or family member - the legal authority to make decisions on behalf of someone with dementia, if they become unable to themselves.

Our next expert Q&A will be hosted by Flora and Helen from our Knowledge Services team. They will be answering your questions on LPA on Thursday 27 September from 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Council ****** up care assessment

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by sixy74, Sep 13, 2018.

1. sixy74

sixy74 Registered User

Jul 4, 2018
    #1 sixy74, Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Well guys as the title says the Council have ****** up my dad’s care home financial assessment. After spending a full week completing the forms, compiling all of the documents required and spending nearly £8 to post special delivery it came back today stating that my dad would have to pay an amount per week that is higher than his income . Straight away I noticed their mistake , they have classed dad’s monthly pension as a weekly pension meaning on paper he has a lot more money than reality. How they could have done this is beyond belief, as I sent a pension statement and a copy of the last 3 months bank statements , anyone with a brain could see that the pension was only paid into dad’s bank account once a month. Anyway after a long wait to contact the council by phone I was told it would be up to 5 working days before the finance department called me back. Dad’s payment is now due but I can’t pay it as they have given me the wrong information, so another week of worry. It’s all never ending , none of us need this on top of what we are already dealing with emotionally. Sorry I just needed to rant to people who understand.

2. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    It may well bee that the LA did spot the mistake but they followed the figures you supplied so it's a bit stupid of them to say nothing but it was your mistake.
    I've filled a few of these forms in and they always specify that figure should be per week rather than the monthly figures we're all more used to using these days.
    One thing to look out for is that you give the figures per week and don't just divide a monthly figure by four like a lot of people do.
    State pensions are paid every 4 weeks so they can be divided by 4 but a lot of payments like private pensions and annuities are paid monthly so you have to multiply the monthly payments by 12 and divide by 52 to get the correct weekly figure.
    If you get £1,000 per month pension most people call that £250 per week, actually £1,000 x 12 months = £12,000 pa divide by 52 weeks and it's only £230.76 per week, it isn't a huge difference but it is nearly 10% more than you're actually getting.
    K

3. sixy74

sixy74 Registered User

Jul 4, 2018
    Thanks for your reply, I did put the private pension as a monthly figure , like you say that’s how I’m used to dealing with it, however it had a page to itself and I wrote MONTHLY next to it using capital letters. The form did not mention using weekly figures however I take your point and just hope they can sort it quickly

4. AliceA

AliceA Registered User

May 27, 2016
    The
    I think this underlines the fact however intelligent we are under stress so asking for help with forms is a good idea. We found AgeUK very helpful