• We're currently experiencing technical issues with our newsletter software, so our Dementia Talking Point monthly updates have been put on hold for now. We hope to restart the newsletter soon.

    Find out more >here<.

Council Tax


Registered User
Jun 6, 2007
As I have only just found out about this, I thought I would post in case anyone else has not been told.

If you are getting DLA for dementia at the middle or higher level care component you can claim a 25% rebate if the "sufferer" is a partner or if they are living on their own a 100% rebate.

I only found out about this as it was mentioned in passing at the Caring and Coping Course I'm on at the moment.


Registered User
May 14, 2007
South East London/Surrey border


You are entitled to get the council tax rebate dackdated to the date that DLA was agreed.

My council then reworked the amount that was due for the year and amended the direct debit payments accordingly. I didn't actually receive a refund but am paying far less this year which is a bonus.

As they say, every little helps.


Registered User
Nov 7, 2004

I just found out about this too and I am trying to claim for 5 years when mum lived in her own house. It was just mentioned in passing in another TP thread recently. I was not told about it by SS or anyone else, though it is on one of the Alzheimer Society fact sheets, but I missed it. Seems to be a big secret.
The council have sent me a form and I am now trying to get it signed. The family doctor who diagnosed AD 5 years ago will not sign it because his receptionist says mum is now under the Nursing Home doctor. Hope he will sign it saying mum had AD for the last 5 years.

And yes I agree, every penny does count. At first I did not realise how much AD does cost the family who care.




Registered User
Jun 27, 2006
Skye said:
Can I just add that the 25% rebate also applies to anyone receiving attendance allowance.
And the 100% (if they live alone) also applies to those receiving AA (although like everyone else you have to get a doctor to sign the form that generally says something like "serious mental incapacity").