Council Tax

RobK

Jul 31, 2003
Blackpool, Lancs
Is it worth mentioning that people with mental impairment can be exempt from paying council tax. My father has not been formally diagnosed as having Alzheimers but his GP agreed to sign the local council form confirming that he is suffering mental impairment. He lives alone and now pays no council tax on his home.

Charlie

Apr 1, 2003
I'm having trouble locating the old thread on this.

But did some people say that they received a council tax rebate, from the date that someone was diagnosed with dementia (rather than the date that the exemption form was submitted).

Bournemouth council are saying that they cannot backdate any claim, even though we have a letter from the GP saying that the diagnosis was over three years ago.

If this is so, I'm guessing that different councils are allowed to have different rule books.

Just like to check, that's all.

thanks
Charlie...

mandyp

Oct 20, 2004
Glasgow
In a previous life, prior to a job in IT, I worked for the Council Tax Office in Scotland for 11 years. I know that there are slight differences in legislation between Scotland and England but to the best of my knowledge these are more to do with means of collection (we have warrant sales here and you have court appearances.....I believe).

Anyway, with regard to 'Severe Mental Impairment' which is what AD falls under, provided the person concerned was in receipt of Disability Living Allowance any Council Tax exemption (not rebate, that is a separate thing) or 25% discount was always backdated. A rebate is income based and is not backdated (that's where the difference lies).

The 25% discount is effectively a single persons discount where there are 2 people living in the house and the second person is disregarded (this can be for a variety of reasons, including 'Severe Mental Impairment' or they are a student or whatever).

However, where a person lives alone and qualifies for exemption, provided the GP will provide a letter confirming date of diagnosis and there is proof that someone has been in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (or at that time Attendance Allowance....not sure if Attendance Allowance still exists) then exemption can be backdated.

If you're having trouble getting it backdated, involve a local councillor or MP, a letter from them will usually do the trick in conjunction with the relevant documentation.

Certainly the council I worked for didn't have to have a letter from a councillor or MP, but for other things that usually helped to sway things in the right direction.

It's worth a shot!

Mandy

mandyp

Oct 20, 2004
Glasgow
Usually Rebates are not backdated (only 4 weeks, or to the date of an original application). Unless it's exceptional circumstances, such as an award of benefit being backdated by more than 4 weeks. It's important that people apply for Council Tax Rebates/Exemptions/Discounts as soon as they can to ensure they get exactly what they're entitled to.

Mandy

Charlie

Apr 1, 2003
Thanks everyone for the quick advice!

I've spoken to them again today and they are adamant that the Council Tax exemption will not be backdated. Will contact there local MP; just seems strange that different councils are allowed to work under different rules in this ways. A bit draconian for my liking.

Lulu

Nov 28, 2004
My mother, who lives alone and was diagnosed with probable alzheimer's disease about 9 months ago, does not pay any council tax. Having read the AS fact sheet, we contacted the council who in turn sent us a form for her consultant to sign and Mum is now totally exempt. Hope this helps.

gmull

Jun 6, 2005
Scotland
carer

i notice on this forum there is no mention of water and sewerage charges within council tax exemptions ! Therefore can someone be exempt from water and sewerage charges also ?

Sally

Mar 16, 2004
London
I had never even heard of sewerage charges! Water rates are quite different and people with a disability do not get discounts as far as I know.

Sally
x x

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
As far as I understand, sewerage charges are generally included in the water company charge tariff. In my area, they are separately specified in the water bill, though I have a septic tank and so don't pay them in that way.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
for the record, it is more expensive to install and run a septic tank and there are certainly no discounts on what needs to be paid... :)

I'd love to be on mains drainage and pay the smaller charge!!! It would be nice to have gas as well as oil for heating is like burning £10 notes.

Sally

Mar 16, 2004
London
Brucie, my knowledge of septic tanks has increased tenfold and I take back in full the accusation of smugness on your part!

mandyp

Oct 20, 2004
Glasgow
Yes, in Scotland it would be total exemption. No need to pay water and sewarage charges. Different in England I think because water is billed separately.

HTH

Mandy