council tax rebate

thompsonsom

Jul 4, 2004
halifax
Hi

I know council tax rebates have been covered before on this forum but i wonder how many newcomers out there are still unaware that they can claim a rebate if they have someone with AD living with them.
I was given a form to fill in by our local carers group and when I sent it off with a claim for discount for my mother in law who has AD and myself as a carer, I received a telephone call from the rebate office asking if my husband was caring for mum as well, I told them that he worked and i was the full time carer but she asked if he cared for his mum when he got home or at night and i said, yes we do take turns, she said that he to was entitled to a refund as a carer and sent us another form to fill in. The person with AD does have to be receiving full Attendance Allowance but we are not waiting to see what kind of rebate will we receive.
I will let you all know once we know.

Janice

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Janice,

I actually only found out about Council Tax rebates a couple of months' ago. Both my parents have AD and I've been paying Council Tax for almost 5 years for them without having to to so.

Thanks for your post highlighting this.

Regards,

Jude

storm

Aug 10, 2004
notts
just been reading about ctr for ad sufferes and thier carers, first i have heard of it. Can anyone give me more info?

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
Hi Storm

not sure if it will vary from one council to another but I dug out the leaflet/booklet that came with the council tax bill and it listed the various reliefs and exemptions. I then rang, filled in a form and hey presto!

Definitely one of the simpler things we have had to deal with.

Good luck

Kriss

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Storm,

I'm just getting on top of this myself.

You are entitled to a Council Tax deduction/rebate if someone in the household is registered disabled or has a sever mental disability (e.g. Alzheimers). If you contact your local office (the number on your Council Tax Bill) they will be able to tell you what you are entitled to and will send the appropriate forms. You can also get this backdated if you were entitled to this allowance over previous years.

There are exemptions but you should definitely check it out. This rebate/discount is not well publicised!

Some councils will even let you download the forms online e.g.

http://www.richmond.gov.uk/depts/finance/revenues/ctax/ctax_discounts_exemptions.htm#13

Hope that helps
Craig

Kerry-Jane

Feb 9, 2004
Surrey
We have recently managed to get a rebate for my Mum - Because the people we spoke to at Elmbridge Council were a bit unsure about Alzheimers being covered our Doctor did an accompanying letter to go with the Form - this seemed to really get things moving for us.

Hope the rest of you are able to do the same.

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear All,

When I completed the forms from our local Council the information did include a paragraph saying that they would contact my parents Doctor for verification of their AD.

Best wishes,

Jude

JoJo

Sep 25, 2003
Shropshire
I don't know whether it differs from county to county but my mum was told they weren't applicable until my dad was receiving the middle amount of disability living allowance. As he got a letter yesterday telling him he was now getting that and giving him a rebate - we should be able to make progress.

Do you actually get a rebate from the council? If so will try and persuade him to put it towards a holiday for him and mum!!!

thompsonsom

Jul 4, 2004
halifax
Hi

According to assistant at rebates office only proof we had to supply was a copy of the letter advising mum had been awarded full attendance allowance.
Dont know if this differs from county to county

janice

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Janice,

It certainly seems that the rules differ between Local Authorities. Why make it easy, after all? They also seem to keep very quiet about Council Tax rebates, don't they?

Jude

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
This was one of my easier tasks,we get attendance allownce.
I filled in the forms gave the consultants name who was only to happy to suppurt me and we received our rebate ,25%,backdated.no problems.
Others that I have advised also found it easy to do.
Good luck
Norman