Council Tax Query.

Butterfly58

Jun 4, 2018
Can anybody help, mother has been admitted into hospital l have written to the appropriate authorities ie: pension credits, attendance allowance, state pension and council tax, l would like to know if she eventually gets discharged do l have to go through all the qualifying forms again,or are they just put on as before.
Cannot face being kept on hold for ages.
Many thanks for any advice.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
They should be reinstated as before, you just need to tell them, though the only thing that gets frozen after four weeks in hospital is Attendance and Carers Allowance. State pension payments are not affected, and neither can I see that the council tax will be - it's still payable when someone is in hospital.

Butterfly58

Jun 4, 2018
Tha
They should be reinstated as before, you just need to tell them, though the only thing that gets frozen after four weeks in hospital is Attendance and Carers Allowance. State pension payments are not affected, and neither can I see that the council tax will be - it's still payable when someone is in hospital.[/QUOTE

Thanks Beate, wonder why one has to inform them of hospital admission if they continue to pay it.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
It think it is up to the discretion of the LA but in my area if a sole occupant is in hospital the property is exempt from council tax

These properties are exempt from the Council Tax so long as the circumstances remain the same;

• properties left empty by patients in hospital or care homes.
  • properties left empty by prisoners.
  • properties left empty by people receiving care.
  • properties left empty by people providing care.
  • repossessed properties.
https://www.bury.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=10870

Platinum

Nov 7, 2017
South east
It think it is up to the discretion of the LA but in my area if a sole occupant is in hospital the property is exempt from council tax

These properties are exempt from the Council Tax so long as the circumstances remain the same;

• properties left empty by patients in hospital or care homes.
  • properties left empty by prisoners.
  • properties left empty by people receiving care.
  • properties left empty by people providing care.
  • repossessed properties.
https://www.bury.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=10870
I have a dilemma in that my OH is in hospital and is unlikely to come back home. We are long term partners but each have our own properties with 25% single occupancy Council Tax discount. For the past two to three years I have spent the majority of time looking after him in his home with a carer stepping in when I needed to check my own property. The last few months have been very stressful and I perhaps should have addressed this earlier. In his absence I have continued to live in his house so I can visit him every day and look after both properties. I know he shouldn’t be paying Council Tax now but as I’m living there I have just continued the DD whilst I try to work out what to do, if anything. I hold EPOA for him.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I have a dilemma in that my OH is in hospital and is unlikely to come back home. We are long term partners but each have our own properties with 25% single occupancy Council Tax discount. For the past two to three years I have spent the majority of time looking after him in his home with a carer stepping in when I needed to check my own property. The last few months have been very stressful and I perhaps should have addressed this earlier. In his absence I have continued to live in his house so I can visit him every day and look after both properties. I know he shouldn’t be paying Council Tax now but as I’m living there I have just continued the DD whilst I try to work out what to do, if anything. I hold EPOA for him.

I wondered about this because I have moved in with dad for the moment but I don't consider that I live with him because I have my own home and family across town where I do live.

As far as I am concerned I am just staying with dad for a while I just don't know how long. Sometimes my brother stays here instead of me but he doesn't live with dad either because he lives round the corner in his own home.

If dad had a permanent paid live in carer would dad still be exempt from council tax. I don't know. I would be interested if anyone could answer that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet