Council Tax Exemptions for AD Sufferers

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by Jude, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Jude

Jude Registered User

Dear All,

I've JUST found out that my parents do not actually have to pay Council Tax contributions since they are listed under a category of 'severe mental disability'. Wonderful..!! Why wasn't I informed about this as a matter of course 4 years' ago????

So, for anyone else not in the know, please phone your local Council office asap and ask them to send you the exemption forms pronto.

Jude

2. Norman

Norman Registered User

Oct 9, 2003
    Birmingham Hades
    Jude
    is it a total exemption from council tax?
    I did get a reduction granted time back but not total?
    Rgards
    Norman

3. Jude

Jude Registered User

Dear Norm,

Yes it is a TOTAL exemption. I'm spitting chips since I wasn't informed about this at all before and I hardly think they will reimburse us for the past 4 years. Anyway, it's worth a try.

Jude

4. carol

carol Registered User

Jun 24, 2004
    Surrey/Hampshire
    council tax exemption

My mother in law (81) has AD and is exempt from paying council tax, but her 84yr old husband and carer is not exempt, he is treated like a single person for council tax purposes.

5. Ruthie

Ruthie Registered User

Jul 9, 2003
    South Coast
    If one person in a household of two people has AD (or is otherwise mentally infirm) you are entitled to a "single person" discount of 25% of your Council Tax. This seems reasonably easy to claim.

If your joint income and total savings are below a certain amount you are also entitled to Council Tax Benefits. The forms for this are more complicated and need a lot of detail filling in - but contact your Local Authority and ask them to send you the information about this.

6. Norman

Norman Registered User

Oct 9, 2003
    Birmingham Hades
    It was the 25% that I was able to claim and it was back dated.
    How can you get the the 100%?
    Norman

7. carol

carol Registered User

Jun 24, 2004
    Surrey/Hampshire
    council tax exemption

Maybe Judes parents got 100% exemption because unfortunately they both have Alzheimers Disease, and it isn't just the usual scenario of one AD sufferer and one carer, who would only be entitled to just the 25% reduction.

8. Jude

Jude Registered User

Dear All,

Yes Carol you are correct, both my parents have AD which is why I hope they will qualify for the 100% benefit. It appears that they have been paying Council Tax unnecessarily for the past 4 years and it will be quite interesting to see if our claim is backdated.....

Jude