Council tax exemption

allylee

Feb 28, 2005
west mids
After three years of caring for my mum with AD, I only just found out that anyone classed as having "severe mental impairment" is totally exempt from paying council tax!
Applying was easy , one form to fill in, countersigned by our GP, and the council refunded the last two years of mums council tax payments.
Possibly many of you are aware of this, but for those as slow on the uptake as me, well worth applying for.
Taking mum on a shopping trip this week prior to her going into a care home on Friday to buy a whole new wardrobe.If only she lets me get rid of those old vests:)
Ally xx

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
[QUOTE=allylee]If only she lets me get rid of those old vests:)
Ally xx[/QUOTE]

Oh Ally!
Nothing to do with Council tax but . . . . !!
If you find a solution to the vests, please let me know! In my Mum's case, it is underpants!! :D Nell

cris

Aug 23, 2006
Chelmsford
The council tax form filling can be daunting. 50 odd pages I think.
My local alz branch were brilliant. They have a 2 page sheet, which requires a couple of signatures and then posting. Worked a treat. Also we did not get a lump sum refund, but in our case the remaining months were suitably reduced.
cris

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
If you don’t mind me adding also that if someone over 75 lives in your house- hold or they live alone they you do not have to pay for a television licence .

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index...n_licences.htm#who_needs_a_television_licence

Go to who needs a television licence

I can tell you that I did have to prove that my mother was living with me when they television man came around and I had already applied for that licences, my son was not to pleased that I had to pull out the paper work again and prove it to the man standing at the door , that he nearly set are dog on him lol . I should not laugh as I got very angry with my son at the time , because the dog bit me on the leg as I tried to hold the dog back into the bath room as the man was leavening and my son saying to the dog get him Cleo . so after that I had to get the dog the sip

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet