Council Tax exemption

PatRayH

Aug 16, 2021
I want to apply for a council tax exemption for mum who still lives in her own home but I am concerned the council will send an updated bill to her explaining why there has been a reduction. I am sure they will. Any ideas?

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
When we applied for MIL and FIL we got the council to send the bills to our house. At that time we didn't have deputyship but FIL was in care paid for by the council until we could access his funds, so that might have helped.
Have you got POA for her? If you have you should be able to get them to redirect to you.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
if your mum is in receipt of one of the qualifying benefits eg Attendance Allowance, personally, I'd apply and take the flack ... if your mum lives alone it's a good bit of money saved, maybe point out she can treat herself and start planning a trip out to distract her

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
I want to apply for a council tax exemption for mum who still lives in her own home but I am concerned the council will send an updated bill to her explaining why there has been a reduction. I am sure they will. Any ideas?
If you have lasting power of attorney for finances and property, you can have post redirected to you

Hours Away

Jul 16, 2021
Could you sign up for paperless billing before applying? When I got an email with a link to the revised bill this just referred to an "Empty Exemption", although the application form was headed "Severely Mentally Impaired Person Form". This year's bill was just zeroed out by an "Exemption" line. However this could vary council to council.

PatRayH

Aug 16, 2021
Paperless billing is a great idea....but the council are bureaucratic idiots, I have to manually fill Part 1 of form on behalf of my mother, then take it to the GP and leave it with them to fill Part 2 of the form to conform her condition and then trust that the GP surgery send it on to the council offices. I live miles away , is there a quicker route?

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
That is the system we used, I think we sent the paperwork to the council and then they sent it to the GP. It didn't take long and the payment was backdated to the date of diagnosis for each of them. Not every council will backdate it to diagnosis but most backdate to date AA was granted, so I wouldn't worry about any delay as your mum won't miss out.